Band Slot vs. Top Tie In Bands

• Hey Gang,
    I'm getting ready to start shaping my Bluewater blank. It is a Padauk/Sapele mix, which I hope doesn't delaminate or something. It is to be a 65" Rear Plus gun and I'm deciding on the band layout.

I'm thinking this will need 4 -5/8ths (16mm) bands to propel the 5/16ths (7.94mm) shaft. My question is whether or not to go with a band slot versus the top tie in bands. The top tie in bands seem easy and straightforward, but I imagine that they would be more prone to getting caught in the mono as they are less controlled after firing.

Dealing with 4 bands is annoying, I could go with 4 top tie in or 4 individual holes, one band slot, or two slots. I'm even considering 2 top tie in and 2 individual holes to manage them better.

So, what's bad about the top tie in bands? What input do you have?

• Don't waste your time with the top tie in. The bands go all over the place when it's time to grab and load them, it's a PITA. You'll do double the band tying and lose band stretch. I noticed no difference in accuracy.

• My instinct was correct. I will go with the original plan of band slots.

What do you think about individual holes, one band slot, or two pairs of band slots for 4 bands?

• I like the look of individual holes. In a short gun they can be a problem because of the required space in between each band can cost some band stretch. The band slot is nice but only if you do not plan on changing the number of bands. For instance on the gun Im building I wanted to be able to use either 2 or 3 bands etc. If the slot isnt full the bands move a lot. PITA

• That's what we're here for Jim, to affirm your correct instincts :laughing:

For two bands I like separate holes because the slightly offset hole positions allow the bands to run nice and compact. With more bands I don't think you can create the same effect. All that's left then is to make sure that the slot is small enough that the bands fit tightly and don't shift. It's a PITA to have to adjust them so they're equal length on each side if they move.

BTW going back to the original question. With 4 bands and top tie in you're looking at either muzzle wings or a very wide stock to be able to stagger the band attachment points. In either case this means that when the bands are stretched they increase the profile of the gun in a way that will make it much less compact. I'm not sure you're going to be carrying a bluewater gun by the middle for it to matter, but it's another point to consider.

• i like a band slot that's holds bands very tight. for 4 5/8'' bands i would cut it with a 1/2'' bit and make it 1 3/4'' long.

tigh in bands are a pain to make, load, you loose power and the front wishbone frays often even if you debur the hole well.

steve veros

in loving memory of paolo

• i like a band slot that's holds bands very tight. for 4 5/8'' bands i would cut it with a 1/2'' bit and make it 1 3/4'' long.

tigh in bands are a pain to make, load, you loose power and the front wishbone frays often even if you debur the hole well.

Thanks, thats what I was originally planning. I thought top tie in bands weren't going to be worth it, but it's common on many BW guns, so I asked.