Frustrated with GoPro

• My GoPro refuses to charge and hold a charge. When plugged in, the red light is dim and wavering, and is only occasionally fully lit. The camera can be turned on when plugged in, but when unplugged it immediately shuts off. The responses of the power and shutter button are also unacceptably slow.

Any advice? I have tried removing the SD card and battery to reset it. Haven't messed with firmware yet.

Alex

• Could be the USB port of your PC is not outputting adequate power. Or that your battery is dead. Try gopro support, they're very efficient. Also if your camera was bought recently it should be under warranty. Obviously the issues you're experiencing are not normal.

• Could be the USB port of your PC is not outputting adequate power. Or that your battery is dead. Try gopro support, they're very efficient. Also if your camera was bought recently it should be under warranty. Obviously the issues you're experiencing are not normal.

It has to be the battery (if not then there's a serious problem with the camera) since Alex has been using the wall charger and not a PC charger recently. I think the camera was bought within a year and I know the camera has only been used only a handful of times.

• Since gopro hasn't yet released their battery chargers, Alex must be using a third party charger. It could have the wrong output and may have damaged the battery.

Yep that could be a possibility. I didn't know gopro relied on third party chargers.

• These chargers have nothing to do with Gopro. I think it's an oversight for Gopro to not hurry up and release their own chargers. People end up buying what's available, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, creating problems in the process. I'm securing a source for chargers now, I'll make sure they work well before I offer them.

EDIT - AC/Wall charger for the GoPro camera and battery are now available from Pursuit http://freedivingspearfishingg…eable-li-ion-battery.html

• I'm going to flash the firmware tonight and then put it back on the PC charger. If that doesn't work I'll call GoPro support.

Alex

• And...no luck. The thing is a paperweight at this point. Calling them tomorrow...and also looking into the new ContourGPS case that's rated to 60meters.

Alex

• In fairness, nothing, except that it's an alternative POV camera that I might buy out of frustration with the gp, plus to be a gear whore.

Alex

• The Gopro is used successfully by many guys. You should try to resolve your issues with Gopro support. In the end I think all you'll need is a new battery.

There's some talk about charging the camera through the PC being harmful. I don't know about this as I had no problems doing it, but I only charged it a few times. The third party charger may have harmed the battery as I mentioned earlier. I will have the right chargers in about a week for less than $20.

• Per the specs on the manual you should use a 1 Ah wall charger at 5v and you should be ok. That is exactly what the iphone charger puts out.

• If you have security in place and the battery is corrupted or the device that loads it corrupts it, the better claim
    warranty that is usually 2 years for manufacturing defects (here in Spain is 2 years). In USA do not know?.

I had a similar case bought a Mag Lite flashlight rechargeable halogen, for battery monitoring work
    it lasted a half hour or assault, I changed the battery 3 times and finally it was the internal charger
    who corrupted the battery, giving me a new torch, this torch his 10-year warranty are not by law,
    but by the manufacturer.

So if you have the receipt to claim the warranty in force, official or service where you sold it.

<º))))><

Si tiene garantía en vigor y la batería esta corrompida o el aparato que lo carga la corrompe, mejor es reclamar
    la garantía que suele ser de 2 años por defecto de fabricación (aquí en España son 2 años)¿.En USA no lo se?.

Yo tuve un caso similar compre una linterna Mag Lite halógena recargable, para el trabajo de vigilancia la batería
    le duraba un asalto ni media hora, me cambiaron la bateria 3 veces y al final resulta que era el cargador interno
    quien corrompía la batería, dandome una nueva linterna, esta linternas su garantía son de 10 años no por ley,
    sino por el fabricante.

Asi que si tienes la factura de compra a reclamar la garantía en vigor, en el servicio oficial o donde te la vendieron.

• GoPro support was fairly useless, but I think I managed to solve my problem on my own, plus with Dan's earlier advice in this thread. I bought the battery backpack at a local sporting goods store with which I had a coupon, since it came with a battery, and (with the coupon) was less than the cost of getting a replacement battery. With the new battery, the camera started right up.

That said, I used the backpack as a standalone charger off of my PC for the old battery. The little button on it can be used to indicate charge level. The battery was fully charged. After some more experimenting, I found that the old battery still actually works, but only if I hold the power button for over 10 seconds, versus about 3 with the new battery. Strange, but it looks like the gopro is resurrected.

Alex