first pic try

• Great tip hau! thanks - might need to get me one of those myself. Best to count on yourself in the end cause 1/2 the time u trying to get away from your buddy - least he see the big one before you do!:D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Autocross Junkie

• TurboRon,
    The vest works great, even though it was not designed for freediving. I have another vest that I used to use for heavy offshore sailing/boating but it is a true automatic, meaning if the wearer got knocked out and fell into the water it inflates automaticly on contact with the water. Wearing an inflatable vest of one type or another a good habit anytime. Like you said, 'best to count on yourself''.
    Buy one and if you find you don't like to dive with it just keep it on the boat. I find the vest comes in handy for other uses also. I've used it as a lift bag, an air pillow on my yak, etc.
    1 down and 1 up of course is much safer than any vest could ever be.

Seahunter49,
    Yes, I also have seen that type of buddy system by some spearos. TurboRon made a true statement though.

Thanks TurboRon.
    hau

• Just read on another board about another diver that possibly could have been saved by this $60. / 1lb vest like I use.

''Quote:
    Search on for Marine missing while snorkeling
    Staff report
    Posted : Wednesday Nov 12, 2008 12:21:02 EST
    U.S. military personnel in Japan continued to search Wednesday for an Okinawa-based Marine who went missing Sunday while snorkeling with a fellow Marine at a popular diving spot off the western side of the island, officials said in a press release
    Japanese rescuers, who had the lead in the search, suspended their efforts earlier Wednesday morning, according to the release. Officials have not identified the two Marines, citing the ongoing investigation and privacy considerations.
    The incident happened at Maeda Point around 2 p.m. Sunday. One of the Marines swam back to shore and told local police that his friend was still in the water. He declined medical attention and was released to his unit, according to the release.'

'They recovered his remains yesterday. Awaiting NOK notification before they release the name. He's not anyone who posts on here, just a guy that shouldn't have been snorkeling with the current sea condition warnings. His unit continued the search after the Japanese quit, they were the reason he was found. You gotta love Marines.
    The search and rescue effort included local police and fire departments, the Japanese coast guard, and the Camp Smedley D. Butler Provost Marshal’s Office and fire department'' .

Quote'';THE YOUNG MAN POSTED ABOUT ABOVE IS MY BROTHER.
    CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa — A body found floating in the waters Wednesday off Onna Village has been identified as Pvt. 1st Class Adam J. Harwood, 29, of Honolulu, Hawaii.
    Harwood, assigned to Marine Wing Support Squadron 172, Marine Wing Support Group 17, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, was reported missing about 2 p.m. Nov. 9, according to a Marine Corps Bases Japan news release Saturday.
    According to local police, he and a 20-year-old Marine were snorkeling off Maeda Point when they were overcome by strong waves and swept out to sea.
    The younger Marine managed to swim to shore unharmed, but Harwood disappeared in the rough waters off Okinawa’s west coast.
    Harwood was a warehouse clerk who joined the Marines in February 2006. He arrived on Okinawa on Aug. 16, the release said.
    As an interim safety measure following the drowning incident, Lt. Gen. Richard Zilmer, commander of Marine Corps Bases Japan and the III Expeditionary Force, on Saturday ordered all military personnel under his command to wear a personal flotation device, such as a snorkeling vest, skin diving horse collar or a buoyancy control device while snorkeling or diving.
    "Upon completion of the safety investigation into the death of Pfc. Harwood, further details will be announced to include modifications to existing orders and directives," the release said.

HE WILL BE LAID TO REST IN SANTA ROSA, CA. DTE STILL PENDING UPON "HIS" RETURN TO THE US."

RIP Marine
    hau

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 5 times, last by hau ().

• hau, the vest is probably a better idea for this application than as a black out survival tool. I used to worry about being swept out to sea and find that I don't much anymore. I've never seen a current here that goes out to sea, but I could be ignorant about it. Rip tides I understand are not a serious concern because you ride them out and then you're not so far out from where you started. The other thing I can think of is being lost from the boat. I think in those cases though the wetsuit provides some flotation once you ditch the weight belt. Floats should be made comfortable to hold on to. If you're using a boogie board for a float you can lie on it.