Lobster Showdown Video

• About a week ago, after spending 4 straight days below the surface reeking havoc, I was laying in bed watching Clint Eastwood's The Good the Bad and the Ugly. I've seen the movie a hundred times, and it never gets old. While watching the showdown duel scene, and tending to my torn up lobster hands, I couldn't help but to feel a connection. While I'd never lay my life on the line for these tasty crustaceans, I often adopt the mind set of it's either me or you Mr. Lobster, and we're not both swimming out of here. So there it was, the inspiration. Couple the inspiration with an external hard drive full of GoPro video and the editing skills of a computer illiterate.. I present to you, Lobster Showdown: The Good the Bad and the.. Spiny?
    Lobster Showdown: The Good the Bad and the.. Spiny? - YouTube
    This is my first serious attempt at a video, any criticism is welcome.
    Also, I'm not sure where this belongs. I know it's a spearfishing site, so if it belongs in some off topic area, I take no offense to it being moved. :) Put it in Broward because that's where the majority of it was filmed.

• Thanks for the positive feedback, glad you guys enjoyed it. :thumbsup2:

• Man I wish we could use tickle sticks and nets here in Santa Barbara, California. Wardens will sometimes issue citations if you are in possession of lobster and have a speargun as they believe we are either shooting the lobster or using the shaft as a tickle stick :/ but power to you brattah. You really are the ninja of the net! Keep the videos coming, I can't see anything worth criticizing except maybe to send some of those bugs my way.

Nick Hernandez

• Bro, i can't wait to get down there and massacre the bugs with a net and tickle stick, seems like such cake compared to grabbing them like we do here. Not sure if we're just that hardcore with our methods or if they're panties for using such a crutch!

Dont mean this in any way an insult, just jealous i guess that we actually have to get good at the grab. Vid is sick, keep em coming!

• I think us floridians adopted the tickel stick and net due to there spikes compared to the west coast lobster..but I could be wrong..maybe the lobster down here are quicker? I dont have any experience with the pacific lobster so I wouldn't know

great ninja net skills too by the way.. what kind of net/ materials is it made out of? I have some shitty nets..I'd like to kno ideally what metal and net makes the least drag in the water?
    All around quality video as well

-AL

Edit I should of read up... tickle sticks are outlawed out west apparently

• Nate started teaching me this technique when we were diving together the past few weekends. Where I come from in NJ we do all our lobstering on deep wrecks on SCUBA and have to grab the lobsters by hand only but they are much slower. Ive wrestled a few bugs out of holes down here with my hands but they are extremely quick to flip out and squirm deeper into a hole. Ive noticed the bigger they are, the more sensitive they are to your approach especially if you try and just grab them full on. Ive used tickle sticks and also taken the shaft out of the gun and used the open flopper to bump them forward out of the holes. The net and tickle stick coordination definitely takes practice, Ill be the first to admit its a little tricky to coordinate both especially freediving. Keeps the bugs in better shape too, I find that if they get all smashed up and lose legs and antennae they were next to dead by the time I got home with them compared to the ones with all legs and antennae intact which were lively and flipflappin all over the place.

Dusky, I dont know what net nate has but its nice and small and doesnt drag in the water one bit, kid swims like a damn dolphin when we shoredive and I can barely keep up with his vapor trail

• Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I love the net and tickle stick combo, it's pretty much 100% success rate. I grab them too, but not always as successful.
    Dusky, I believe I bought that net at basspro for something like $5. It's nothing special, I just try to get smaller profile nets so I can fit them under ledges and in holes. I took the normal bungy off the handle, drilled a hole and put a mono loop so I can attach it to my weight belt when I'm without the kayak. I've had it for 3 yrs or so, every now and then I replace the net part when i get too many holes to repair.

I'll take a moment to commemorate the tickle stick in that vid. I've used it for several years, and it has more good juju on it than Michael Jordan's lucky shorts. Unfortunately, as of 2 weeks ago, it's on the bottom somewhere off Fort Lauderdale. Here's to you :toast:

• Hit me up for shore dives!:thumbsup2: i dont have a yak but if u do any straight swimming out im always down.

Also either of you are invited any time out on my Dusky... usually out 2-3 times a week(weather permitting)

• Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I love the net and tickle stick combo, it's pretty much 100% success rate. I grab them too, but not always as successful.
    Dusky, I believe I bought that net at basspro for something like $5. It's nothing special, I just try to get smaller profile nets so I can fit them under ledges and in holes. I took the normal bungy off the handle, drilled a hole and put a mono loop so I can attach it to my weight belt when I'm without the kayak. I've had it for 3 yrs or so, every now and then I replace the net part when i get too many holes to repair.

I'll take a moment to commemorate the tickle stick in that vid. I've used it for several years, and it has more good juju on it than Michael Jordan's lucky shorts. Unfortunately, as of 2 weeks ago, it's on the bottom somewhere off Fort Lauderdale. Here's to you :toast:

Heeheee I got me a new tickle stick with that angle on it just like the one you lost... :laughing3:

• It's been a pretty boring Sunday, so I decided to edit the few clips I had of lobster this past season. Sadly, I only wore the GoPro on 1 day of lobster diving this year, so almost all of the footage is from the same day, with the exception of the last clip.
    Lobster 2012 - YouTube