A wetsuit choice for colder water

• After all the fish I saw on my recent bay dive, I want something that will keep me warm enough to dive in 52-55°F water so that I can dive through the Panhandle winter. A dry suit would be a slam dunk, but I am too short have much luck looking for a used suit and can't justify the coin for new dry suit for the handful of winter dives that I can probably fit in, especially with the possibility of longer grouper season closings. Maybe "Semi-dry"?

• A dry suit! Might as well build a submarine :D I would think you could get away with a 5mm open cell two piece suit. Have you tried a two piece suit? It's really warm. And then you could go to a 7mm. I mean you can see people dive up in RI on SB. Must be hard to bend your arms though. At least you don't need to breath up :laughing:

• The only wetsuit that I have every owned is my 15-yr old farmer john. Why are the two piece suits warmer? Is it because they can be made to fit tighter? Or because they don't have a zipper? I'm also not sure that I know the difference between open cell and closed cell. I have a hood that has a different material where it fits around the face. A smoother, almost rubbery feel to it. Is that open cell? I can see where a suit with that material on the inside would almost stick to your skin, and allow very little water intrusion.

Winter is when we most reliably get clear water in the bay, and much less boat traffic as well. I would love for my next suit to allow me the flexibility to freedive when conditions allow!

• Yes, like you said open cell is the same neoprene as on the inside of any wetsuit but without nylon cover on one or more of the surfaces. Those surfaces will be smooth or almost rubbery to the touch. This surface really sticks to your skin and prevents any water circulation. But then you need lubricant to get into the suit.

I don't know what your farmer John wetsuit is. But a two piece effectively stops any circulation even if the open cell material is just 2 - 3" seals around the wrists and ankles. The two piece also has overlap in the mid section where the top joins the bottom. This overlap is also made of open cell. It is the zipper where water gets in. How thick is your farmer John? At 15 years I'd bet it lost some of its insulating properties.

• Contact Elios sub and get a custom made two pieces wetsuit.
    Better if it is "Liscio-spaccato". You will need a little lube to wear it, but then you will feel as comfortable as you have NEVER been in a wetsuit. Specially if, as you said, your body is not "standard".

If you have never had a REAL freediving wetsuit, I will go with a 5 mm.

Their prices are around 250 Euros, but they are worth every penny. ;)

www.eliossub.com

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

Edited once, last by Marco ().