Bungee material

• Does anyone know where I can get a length of black rubber tubing to make a bungee like this? I know I can get it from my bulk rubber tubing supplier but I'd have to place an order for too much of it. I need like a 6" piece and hope it can be sourced somewhere local from an unrelated field.

• McMaster has black latex tubing by the foot. If that is 3/8" OD by 1/4" ID, then it is $1.06 per foot, with no minimum. Part number is 5234K74.

1/2" OD tubing is sometimes used in lightweight excercise bands, which might be available at your average Walmart, Academy, etc, but those (plus the drive to get them) will probably end up costing more than just getting it from McMaster.

• Thank you Jeff. I'll look into both options. The gun is practically finished apart from the bungee and butt. I will probably not get to shoot it though until March when I get my shipment of spears. My aim is perfect with my current gun with the correct overhang. I don't want to put a shorter spear on the new gun and mess up my aim.

• Dixie divers on hillsboro has it. I made 2 bungies. it is polespear rubber so it is thicker than bungie rubber.

Davie Peguero

• seaweed, we have a winner. There's a dive store around the corner from me. I went there and bought a premade sling for a pole spear for $7, they didn't have bulk tubing. I took the longest one and can make four bungees out of it. It's almost identical in diameter to the retail bungee just slightly bigger, that may be a good thing.

• Aiming with a pneumatic it TOTALLY different that with a band gun. You must cover the fish with the air valve plug. Don't use the shaft to aim, otherwise you will miss a lot os shots.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Thanks for the advice Marco but I don't use a pneumatic. The pic in the beginning was just to show the bungee. Good tip nonetheless. Regarding the aim with the band gun. I do not use the shaft to aim, I shoot instinctively. I found the correct overhang (13") to be of utmost importance for accuracy.

• Yes I have that cyrano and also a little 700 but I don't use them. The 700 is for one specific situation and is a short range gun so accuracy is not an issue. Cyrano 970 was actually my first gun and I found it to be accurate having never used a speargun before. I never even considered the question of overhang with a pneumatic. I only started to get into accuracy problems and considerations after I switched to a Riffe band gun. In retrospect it was a question of simply having overpowered it but before I found that out I explored all other aspects of the gun that could possibly contribute to accuracy. Power, handle shape and placement, mass of the stock, inline band placement etc etc. I found that most factors that people place great emphasis on contribute little to the accuracy question. My conclusions are that the factors affecting accuracy most in order of importance are:
    1. Not overpowering the gun and shaft overhang.
    2. Shape of handle and closeness to the plain of travel of the spear.
    This works for band guns. Greekdiver BTW believes that for a pneumatic as little overhang as is necessary to clear the flopper from the muzzle is the way to go.