Gifts from the sea.

• A few weeks ago some of the divers at the Oceanographic center found a spear gun in about 120' of water somewhere north of Port Everglades. They had tossed it in the garbage so I pulled it out to take a look and discovered it was a Rob Allen Tune Tuna1200. At first I was going to leave it as it was well on its way to being an artificial reef but I decided to try to restore it and was successful. I took the small parts off and soaked them in CLR overnight and then made a pouch from a garbage bag to soak the tube in for a few hours. All ocean decorations came off easily and the trigger mech still worked fine. I replaced the shaft, bands, and lines, and removed the reel. When buying parts from Dan he suggested I post about it with some pics so Here they are. Thanks to Judah (Lunker Buster) for helping me with rigging it up and to Dan for the quality gear. Cheers.

• That's really incredible you got it back in to working order.

A perfect example of the phrase, "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

• Nice pics. I saw this gun in person cleaned up, and now seeing the original pics the difference is dramatic. To me the gun appeared perfectly functional, the mech engaged and released smoothly. I'd pull out and inspect the mech, removing the safety at the same time if possible. If the tube was painted it can now pass for a lightly used gun. Even the reel looked clean. I'm making a mental note about the CLR.

• this is a new RA mech..i looked at it and it has the SS line release and does the recess itself when not engaged...i think that SS can maintain all of its integrity...it is only a 50 replacement...i treat all spearguns as though they could fire at any moment anyway

i like to spear fish

• Slight derail.

I gave runner two 5/8 band at 25 and 26 inches because he has never done any chest loading and we figured it was better to learn on long bands before tightening up ...

Which brings me to my derail. I used the pursuit inserts http://freedivingspearfishingg…/26-wishbone-inserts.html in the two 24" ones we made

They are great. Big top end w a good mushroom shape, they slid in easily because of the taper and had great holding power like a mushroom anchor. The hole is smooth and small enough that a basic figure eight knot seems like it would hold well. Good stuff

i like to spear fish

• Thanks guys, it was definitely a great find to be sure. Like Dan and Lunker said the trigger mech seems to hold fine. I went outside and kept the gun aimed in a safe direction and loaded it under both bands and let it sit for several minutes and it held fine. I did that a few times and in between I engaged and disengaged the shaft several times within the mech looking at functionality and smoothness of the trigger and line release; all which seemed to move seamlessly. Like I had mentioned I soaked in CLR overnight and the stuff on the outside simply whipped away with little effort so I imagine whatever was in the mech was dissolved. I noticed no pitting or other serious corrosion that would compromise the structural integrity on any part of the gun including anyvisual SS parts so I imaging the SS in the mech fared well. I would rather not pull it apart as it shows no signs of functional problems and I am not familiar with the mech. As for painting, I am thinking of just getting the blue camo stuff from Omer or using Lunkers idea of the flash tape or possibly using some Rhino Liner.

On Lunkers side note I can say that it was my first time making bands (Thanks Lunker for showing me how to do that :thumbsup2:) and the wishbones I got from Dan worked awesome and like LB said a small square stop knot was plenty to keep the line. Now I just have to get used to this chest loading stuff without hurting myself :laughing:. Coming from an old JBL. But thanks again to Lunker and Dan for everything.

Lunker, if the weather improves maybe we can get out and field test her this weekend. Cheers.