"cuban" snare adapted jewban snare

• I have no idea where this idea came from I first saw it from Ben and was told by another spearo it was called a cuban snare. I know the idea is old but I thought I would show how I make mine.

but you gotta join..

i like to spear fish

• I apologize to all cali guys, I am not rubbing it in :)

I buy the cheap slim aluminum tickle sticks for 1.99 then i drill a hole at one end at 45 degrees...then simple cut about 14 inches of 400 lb mono and put a tight loop on one end...thread the other end through the loop and through the stick..then add another crimp there.

at this point you have to secure the tail end to make the snare work so I tie a constrictor knot and then square knot the excess

....then bend the end of the tickle stick to your liking.

for use, just tickle the bug out and then get the loop behind him. once you get the loop over the swimettes you almost cant lose..if they move at all the snare closes and the front legs grab from the front while the tail pull in from the back..cant miss.

i like to spear fish

Edited once, last by LunkerBuster ().

• I've been using this snare for a couple of years and it works great. I have a different way of securing the mono to the aluminum rod. However I believe this snare is illegal because it doesn't have a stopper that will prevent it from constricting past a certain point. Still I've never seen it damage a lobster, and the legal issue can be solved by sliding a section of tube over the mono.

BTW this forum section is not private.

• that is a good heads up dan...i thought about adding another crimp in the loop to act as a stopper as well.

it really doesnt constrict as other snares do, it more collapses as you know...i would argue against any ticket(in court) to say that this snare cannot crush or injure a lobster as other snares can because one cannot actually apply any force. the pulling of the animal does that

i like to spear fish

• I'm not sure. But the fact FWC didn't catch it doesn't mean anything, they can be ignorant about a lot of things, and sometimes very knowledgeable, depending on the individual.

I remember well my first experience with an automatic snare, the one that you cock and press a button to constrict. I've actually designed one of those that was rubber tubing actuated, the rubber was inside the PVC tube. Anyways a friend of mine got the automatic snare and was excited about using it. I was watching as he went for a lobster and was working to get that contraption around its tail. When he finally did and figured the timing was right to click the button, the snare snapped closed with such force that lobster legs went flying. I was LOL underwater. And the automatic snare does have a stopper, it still damaged the lobster. The snare pictured in this thread is really the best thing going.

• at your service my brother. these literally cost about 2.35 to make retail...I'd happily make one for just about anyone.

Dan, how are you attaching the mono on your snares

i like to spear fish

• I use a similar design, just crimp the line inside the tickle stick. Works like a charm, pretty much free and less gear to carry around and lose

• Like Joe said, we can't use tickle sticks or snares for lobster in CA. I wonder how much different diving out there is versus here.

• u sure its illegal dan? Ive been boarded by FWC with the snares on board and they never said anything about them.

Yeah, I have been stoped in the keys by FWC and they have said is illegal because it has no locking mechanism. It seems dumb to me because they sell them in scuba/spearfishing stores.... so they are selling an Illegal product to use in florida :crazy:
    But It does work great. I still use them here in Miami and in the keys.