Heya all

• I have been lurking awhile, ty all for the reports and nice post. I own a gun, never used it. I have been considering free diving for a while. I do however have lots of snorkling experiance, metal detecting in the ocean is my hobby. I have been spending countless hours in the water up till mid november, but due to my work schedule I have not been in for 2 weeks. It has been a bit chilly in the water to say the least, going to get a wet suit when i am done with this post. Anyway if anyone is going to do anything from shore in shallow water I would be game. throw me a call at 786-877-3485.

Stevo

• Hello Stevo and welcome to the forum. When you say metal detecting in the ocean you mean on the beach or underwater? I have no idea how this can be done underwater. Snorkeling water time is just the kind of thing that will make spearfishing come naturally. Give it a little time and I'm sure you'll be able to coordinate a beach or boat dive with some guys here.

• Thanks for the replies all.

When you say metal detecting in the ocean you mean on the beach or underwater?

Water detecting, I will detect up to 7' of water. Any deeper and it gets a little tough with a detector. The machine i have will go around 200' or so. I will usually find a couple pieces of gold each trip, its a nice hobby and the gold sells good. I have a couple rings atm that I would trade for a yak, prefably a tandem. Here is a brief description of 3 nice rings

Left Mans diamond & emerald ring 18 kt size 8 1/2. 1ct total weight diamonds, 1ct total weight emerald

Middle Mans wedding band 14kt yellow gold size 10 1.25 ct total weight diamonds

Right Ladies diamond initial ring "G" around size 5 or 6. 18kt yellow gold 40 pts diamond

Stevo

• Stevo, if it's not a trade secret :) can you post a link to your gear? I'm curious to see how different it is to the common metal detectors I see people using on the beach and how much it costs. I imagine it has electric circuits and a battery pack and that the whole thing needs to be waterproof.

• i use the Xcaliber] it cost around $1,200.00 as for the rest of my gear i just use a weight belt, cut off fin to fan with my foot, mask & snorkel. oh yeah i also wear a homedepot nail pouch for the junk and clad I find.

Stevo

• Cojones, that looks like a serious machine. Serious business metal detection. What you said about the cut off fin for fanning reminded me of Cuba. Over there very few people have a metal detector. I knew a kid who's father had one. But often you could see guys with nothing but a mask and snorkel fanning the sea bottom along the beach. They used a paddle/fin that was cut out of plywood and was fairly rigid. For a footpocket they nailed a piece of inner tube to the plywood paddle. I used to wonder how long can one fan with that uncomfortable appendage.

• Daaaamnn! Those are the three rings I lost yesterday at the beach!

:nono: I think you're mistaken holmes - that first expensive lookin one with the bling looks like mine! :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Autocross Junkie