Building DIY spectra/tube floatline. Need splicing help.

• I am building myself some tube style floatlines using 1600lb spectra, 1/4-3/8 PVC tubing, and end hardware from neptonics.

Floatline Plugs
    Red PVC Tubing 1/4" I.D. 3/8" O.D. and 1/16" wall | U.S. Plastic Corp.
    Samson Amsteel Blue 7/64", Foot, Black

The problem I am having is with splicing the final end. The type of splices I am familiar with / I can find online all involve passing either the entire line through, or passing the hardware through the hole made in the splice. Neither of these options are ideal in this case because my floatline ends have heavy duty swivels welded on, and the rings attaching the swivels are too wide to pass through the widest hole I can make in the line.

I am wondering if anyone has any options for creating an eye splice differently to avoid cutting the swivels off. Becuase swivels are great.
    I will update this thread with some pictures of the process once I complete building the lines.

Thanks guys.

• There are some good tutorials on YouTube. If I remember correctly
    I ran the spectra back through itself. Look it up and post the video you used on here.

BOBBERRYFISHCARVINGS.COM

• I'm not quite sure, but something like this has always worked for me.....
    Spectra Single Braid Lanyard
    I've never bothered whipping the ends.

I usually just tie a knot, but that was a while ago, when I used to use tube style floatlines. Now I just use three strand poly rope. It always floats, doesn't get holes in it, and if it gets stuck somewhere, I don't feel bad just cutting it out..... Oh and it's like $0.15 a foot.
    Samson-The Strongest Name in Rope, ULTRA BLUE-3

• There are some good tutorials on YouTube. If I remember correctly
    I ran the spectra back through itself. Look it up and post the video you used on here.

Those are probably the same tutorials ive seen.

I did that for the first end (putting the spectra back through itself), before I ran it through the tube. The problem I am having is with the second end. The spectra cant be ran through itself with the tubing and other end attached.

The tutorials ive found overcome this issue by sticking the second floatline plug through the splice, but the swivels welded onto my floatline plugs prevent this from being an option.

I'm not quite sure, but something like this has always worked for me.....
    Spectra Single Braid Lanyard
    I've never bothered whipping the ends.

I usually just tie a knot, but that was a while ago, when I used to use tube style floatlines. Now I just use three strand poly rope. It always floats, doesn't get holes in it, and if it gets stuck somewhere, I don't feel bad just cutting it out..... Oh and it's like $0.15 a foot.
    Samson-The Strongest Name in Rope, ULTRA BLUE-3

What you posted is exactly what I was looking for. It addresses the issues of double ended eye splices. It seems that since the line isnt passed inside itself in some fashion its relying on the friction of the splice (and whipping) to hold. I will probably do this and include the whipping portion. Thanks.

I also agree poly rope works pretty well and was an avid fan until recently. I used a tube style floatline recently and just found it to work much better. Especially regarding tangling and knoting. On the reef I dont find myself spearing in places where there is enough structure to damage my floatline. If I did I would most definitely switch back to a poly rope. And in bluewater this style of floatline is a dream.

Edited 4 times, last by Reefchief ().

• Glad I could help. Make sure you at least pass it through or something besides just whipping the end, it'll slip.
    So, from what I'm understanding you just need a bit longer spectra line or trim off like 6" of tubing....? That way you could do it the exact same way you did the other side.
    A picture might help.

I like that the poly rope is lighter than a tube floatline, I've had both of them knot up. I've actually got a neptonics floatline here that I used once. It's pretty bulky, but that's my opinion. :) I keep it as a loaner.

• Glad I could help. Make sure you at least pass it through or something besides just whipping the end, it'll slip.
    So, from what I'm understanding you just need a bit longer spectra line or trim off like 6" of tubing....? That way you could do it the exact same way you did the other side.
    A picture might help.

I like that the poly rope is lighter than a tube floatline, I've had both of them knot up. I've actually got a neptonics floatline here that I used once. It's pretty bulky, but that's my opinion. :) I keep it as a loaner.

Yes I plan to follow the tutorial you linked to the T with both the splice and whipping.

For anyone wondering. Here is a video that shows the method I was finding in tutorials on splicing http://youtu.be/HiOzEELTWp4 You can see that it is simple and clean, but requires passing the entire line through a hole in the spectra. The tight weave prevents that hole from being wide enough to fit my hardware. With the tutorial Dave linked this problem is completely avoided (albeit with a bit trickier splicing+ whipping).

• [quote='Reefchief','http://spearfishing.world/forums/index.php?thread/&postID=57661#post57661']Those are probably the same tutorials ive seen.

I did that for the first end (putting the spectra back through itself), before I ran it through the tube. The problem I am having is with the second end. The spectra cant be ran through itself with the tubing and other end attached.

The tutorials ive found overcome this issue by sticking the second floatline plug through the splice, but the swivels welded onto my floatline plugs prevent this from being an option.

You can you just have to stretch the PVC over it. I could be having a brain fart though. :thumbsup2: Let us know how it turns out.

BOBBERRYFISHCARVINGS.COM

A picture might help.

I use strictly poly as well. It is cheap and i am not worried if it is needed for something on the boat since it is so cheap to replace.

BOBBERRYFISHCARVINGS.COM

• I use lots and lots of the samson spectron rope at work as often as possible I try to use a brummel splice. Its impossible for it to come undone. If you cant do it just make sure the end is tapered properly and it should never come out. I think samson suggest doing a 5/3/2 splice for regular eye splices. I have not made my own float line yet so this info may not be helpful at all. But i do splice lots and lots of this stuff.

• I use lots and lots of the samson spectron rope at work as often as possible I try to use a brummel splice. Its impossible for it to come undone. If you cant do it just make sure the end is tapered properly and it should never come out. I think samson suggest doing a 5/3/2 splice for regular eye splices. I have not made my own float line yet so this info may not be helpful at all. But i do splice lots and lots of this stuff.

I used a brummel on one side. But I had to do a different splice like Dave recommended Spectra Single Braid Lanyard on the other end. Since my floatline ends had large rings welded between the swivels.

Also ive been using them for over a year and my DIY floatlines have held up really well. Still not sinklines.

• I did my own float lines, 60 and 100 ft with 1000lb spectra core and a 50 ft bungee line with same spectra core and no problems so far, well actually I did have to re-whipp twice as I realized I did the whipping wrong... :@ :confused1: But eventually my thick brain got it right with this tutorial that was tailor made for doing this stuff :thumbsup2:
    Brummel | How to Make a Brummel Eye Splice | Splicing Knots

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Am I mising something or is there a reason why you cant just splice two loops on each end and then use a split ring to attach the swivel or just use a simple hitch and attach the loop directly?

Instead of or in addition too whipping you can add a drop or two of superglue to the tag end. It is really simple and not as bulky as a whipping knot.

• I really like the looks and feel of splicing dyneema. The Brummell is awesome.
    I have an app on my phone called Grog Knots. They have at least 4 different splices for dyneema.
    I used a locking Brummell to attach my swivel to the dyneema on my reel.
    It is important to taper the end that is back inside the main line.

Has anyone used a wind-on fishing leader for there shooting line ?
    I have made my own wind-on's in the past for rod and reel fishing and was thinking of using the concept for a shooting line. I don’t have all the stuff here in Belize. I would need to get some 500lb hollow spectra to stuff the 400 lb shooting up in to, i would then splice that in to some 1400 lb dyneema as the 500 lb spectra is very thin. I would want the spliced loop in the dyneema come off the rear of the gun 30" or so and this would allow you to clip on your float line to your shooting line behind your body and well out of the way. It would attach to the line release with a small loop of bungee.
    Neptonics sells a cool set up that allows you do this; personally I don’t think it is as slick as wind on style shooting line. I would call it a wrap on leader if it had to be named.

• Am I mising something or is there a reason why you cant just splice two loops on each end and then use a split ring to attach the swivel or just use a simple hitch and attach the loop directly?

Instead of or in addition too whipping you can add a drop or two of superglue to the tag end. It is really simple and not as bulky as a whipping knot.

Really shouldnt need whipping line or glue for a brummel/lock splice. I didnt watch the tutorial so I dont know the other splice used.

• I think you are missing plenty :laughing3: just kidding, that was 2 easy :D
    Spliced(edited as I was writing whipped by accident not spliced) properly there is no bulk and nothing is as strong as a proper spliced line, knots can make line lose well over 50% of the strength of the said lines rated strength, glue makes a hard spot and hard spots are week spots.
    I think the reason why most dont do as you suggest is that we use pre built terminal ends and plugs for our blue water floats and bungees, so doing the splices then attaching them to the ends would create 2 big a bulge for the tube or bungee to go over if I am reading what your saying right... We have inner core inside tubing then plugs as ends... I may be completely misunderstanding what your getting at though.
    Whipping is easy and also creates no noticeable bulk

Am I mising something or is there a reason why you cant just splice two loops on each end and then use a split ring to attach the swivel or just use a simple hitch and attach the loop directly?

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

Edited once, last by Dude george ().

• I think you are missing plenty :laughing3: just kidding, that was 2 easy :D
    Spliced(edited as I was writing whipped by accident not spliced) properly there is no bulk and nothing is as strong as a proper spliced line, knots can make line lose well over 50% of the strength of the said lines rated strength, glue makes a hard spot and hard spots are week spots.
    I think the reason why most dont do as you suggest is that we use pre built terminal ends and plugs for our blue water floats and bungees, so doing the splices then attaching them to the ends would create 2 big a bulge for the tube or bungee to go over if I am reading what your saying right... We have inner core inside tubing then plugs as ends... I may be completely misunderstanding what your getting at though.
    Whipping is easy and also creates no noticeable bulk

Exactly. My floatline plugs from neptonics came with the swivels welded on with a large ring. It was so nicely done I didnt want to cut the rings off just to pass the plug/line through the knot. So the first one I could do a burmmel (the other plug wasnt on yet) but the second no.

• The part I was missing was the plugs.

And even though the superglue will add a hard spot that will cut strength, if the glue cuts the strength to 85% of its normal strength on 1400 lb spectra thats down to 1200lb. not a huge difference.