Glad I know exactly what species I am eating!

• I've known about that for a while... kinda like when they say Patagonian toothfish is Seabass... which if you ask they'll at least admit to it being chilean seabass...

Although I don't agree with one of the fish that the video reported on... White tuna. There is no such thing as a white tuna and Escolar's nick name in the US is White tuna because it looks like a tuna and the white is often white... Duh!:D So I would have to say that white tuna is an exception to the mislabeling problem, since sellers are not stealing the name from another fish to sell at a higher price.

Fast food fish sandwiches are often swai or monkfish and not cod.
    sablefish is labeled as pacific cod.
    Pacific red snapper is often Rockfish.
    imitation crab... well its an immitation of crab. lol.
    Blue king crab can be cooked and labeled as red king crab.

• That is crazy but not surprising. I read a paper the other day on this topic. The imitation crab is made from Surimi (or ground up fish meat from various sources). Sometimes the labeling is done to save money by substituting a cheaper fish but sometimes, like with "Chilean Sea Bass" the name is changed because nobody wants to eat something called Patagonian Tooth Fish. I had a place give me Cod the other day instead of the Grouper I ordered (locally caught they said) and it took a damn debate with the manager to get my order switched because he swore it was grouper; despite the differences in appearance b/t the two.

If interested there's a book called Hooked: Pirates, Poaching, and the perfect fish by G. Bruce Knecht that is a great read about the Patagonian Toothfish industry.