Musicians Thread

• Hey Gang.

I was sitting the other day and noodling around on my bass while I was surfing the forums and it occured to me that there might be a lot of others in here who like to make some tunes.

I am a pretty recreational player, no real talent ;) but I love music with a passion, almost as much as I love the sea and my dogs.

I consider myself a bassist but I also play a lot of guitar and ukulele. I am looking to add banjo or mandolin soon as I love bluegrass and dont have the chops on the guitar for it.

I have way too many instruments:

JB Player (martin clone) six string acoustic
    guild SF Iv- semi hollow electric six string
    epiphone electric bass
    Fender jazz bass, fretless
    ibanez acoustic bass
    Eddy finn concet ukulele
    lanikai soprano ukulele
    - '67 martin d35
    -'69 martin d28 12 string
    Okay, to be technical, the martins are both my Dad's but I am the first born son so they are essentially mine :)
    and a bunch of fun toys like harmonicas and a jews harp and yes, a washboard

I love any music that is from the heart, be it soul, rock, blues, bluegrass, jazz and world music are my favorites but i really love folk music from just about anywhere. I mostly play rock and folk

So, what do you guys play or like or do you all just hate music :laughing3:

i like to spear fish

Edited once, last by LunkerBuster ().

• Good thread. Maybe I'll find a new dive buddy and someone to jam with. hah
    This is a photo from earlier this year. The guy next to me (I'm playing bass) is Pen Cayatano. He's considered the "Father of Punta Rock" here in Belize. The other guy on the left is playing harmonica and my two spearing buddies, Jake and Jorge (gone to Viet Nam) are playing drums. Pen's daughter...oh is she beautiful. German mother.....was playing piano and singing.
    I also played guitar with some of her songs later.
    I"ve been on a break lately. My two year old son loves to come in the room when I try to practice and grabs my pick or guitar. My calluses are thin right now.

This is my collection of electrics,,,,except for the blue one....(and a double cutaway Les Paul and a Peavey Tiger Eye)..... I put a new neck on that guitar for a kid here. It was the real Fender neck off the natural finished (real) Fender strat.
    I put a Warmoth neck on that one and Lindy Fralin pickups. That's my personal favorite. It has jumbo stainless steel frets, and Schaller locking tuners. Plays really nice. I built all the other ones with Warmoth parts.
    The burst colored one....well, Stevie Ray came to me in a dream and said, "build this guitar, and you'll be able to play Little Wing, like I did". I built it but he lied to me. haha
    I can play a few of his songs though. Music and the ocean. I'm lucky I have an understanding wife.

I have 3 acoustics laying around too. A nice Martin copy that a friend built from scratch. It sounds great. I go through fazes. Sometimes I'm bluesy and sometimes rock n rolly....I like Skynyrd.

Edited 4 times, last by hank ().

• This is kind of funny. I sometimes go on MyLesPaul.com forum, obviously a guitar forum and guys have started threads, "what do you do when you're not playing guitar"? So I've posted some spearfishing pictures on there. I think I'm the only spearo on that board.

• Great thread Lunker. I consider myself an average guitarist but I am still learning as I have always been the vocalist in any band I have been in. I actually started playing again about a year ago because I wanted to make music and didn't know any musicians in the area. I play mostly acoustic but break out the electric from timer to time. I dig on mostly classic rock and country when playing right now but love all types of music. I have been in bands that played anything from punk to country; though I love making/playing original stuff. After messing around with Lunker's ukulele I have been on the hunt for one; just too fun to play not to have one. Lunker man, hit me up any time you want to jam. :thumbsup2:

My toys so far are an Electric/Acoustic Dean which plays amazingly. Great action and no fret buzz. The Elctric is a Yamaha AES520D6. It's a bit heavy buy sounds great and has amazing action.

• The evolution of my first Warmoth build. I really liked the burst color on this. But my original hardware was all silver. A Wilkinson bridge and an ebony fretboard on maple neck. SRV oblong contour. It was really nice but the neck did a little twist....maybe from the heat change between Seattle and here? Anyway, I ordered a maple neck for it.....see next picture

...and got all gold hardware for it. I also got smaller frets on this one. A bit shorter instead of the jumbos. It's still nice but I like jumbo frets better.

• I have this old 1912 Cable Nelson that I try to play traditional Irish songs on. I'm just now getting over the hatred of weekly piano lessons as a kid. My true love was my 1957 Gretsch drum kit I played at age 8 till I moved here to Cali in 77. The drum kit is long gone after I loaned it to a friend in a rock band.:(

Cheers, Don