Another Spearboared Gem

• http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=136315

Another feeding frenzy.

Makes me wonder why Grogan let's members put down other members. Is it for ratings? Is it his personality ? Ignorance? A need to step in like a knight in shinning armor and save the day? ( yet to happen on this thread, but give it time) .

This is what happens when Internet egos go unchecked. In person, this shit would never fly.:nono:

• A report on taking fish with a powerhead doesn't belong in a spearfishing forum, as if shooting a fish on scuba doesn't already preclude it from being of any interest. I sympathize with the frustration of the freedivers posting on that thread, they don't know where to go to avoid that crap.

• Yeah, but once you create a board where all types of diving is allowed, why let people post negative shit?

Looking at it that way you would be right. But that thread is just an example of why spearboard doesn't work. The grogan who is not a freediver wants to own the whole spearfishing community. The members are too divergent; scuba spearfishing, freediving spearfishing, taking fish with powerheads, commercial spearfishing.. Where does it end, someone posting a report about harvesting fish with a grenade? It's a breeding ground for negative interaction.

BTW here's a big cobe Rolo took. I was there and saw the fish, I put the weight at a conservative 55lb. A powerhead was not needed.

• I submit the following:

Florida Sportsman and Bloody Decks.

Way more diverse than SB. Bloody Decks is a clusterfuk. Florida Sportsman on the other hand is moderated a bit better. Both are more diverse than SB. It's all in how the tone is set. People say things that they know they can get away with on the net.

What is more unsporting than a guy hauling fish from the depths with a reel while drinking?

BTW, we should invite them here. Lots of good free divers there. Anyone with an account there should be sending invitations!

I think that the grog wants to eventually make the site profitable and be crowned the Spearo Queen of the World!

• well said Dan.

the respect for the ocean makes it less a sport and more of a passion.

to me, I am not trying to be sporting. Sports have balls and scores and winners and cheerleaders.

While i like the idea of a sporting hunt and respect for my quarry, the line of fair is adjustable to each person. I feel that if you really respect the ocean you and I are probably not too far apart on what's right and what's too much.

i like to spear fish

• Hey ya'll (yes Im a Fla boy) Im 2fishin2 the guy who "stirred the pot" and all I was saying is IMO, it isn't sporting to blast fish with explosives. That's all, and then the attacks start fast and furious. :D

I wonder why people always have to attack like that? So what if I don't agree? :crazy:

Oh yeah great fish in this post and for all that can see the fish in my SB avatar....no powerhead needed there either!

• I'm thinking about the BS from those guys on SB who would use a powerhead to kill any of those nice fish you posted, and them trying to make it sound reasonable; it's about the meat not the sport.. it's a clean kill.. :rolleyes1: A cobia is not even a particularly good food fish. The truth is they simply don't have a clue about what we do, and so don't understand why we scoff at their "achievements". Just the thought of it, get your tanks filled, carry that shitload of gear onto the boat in anticipation of spending 20 minutes underwater, going down with a PH on your speargun looking to plug a fish. How do you enjoy that?

• Ya know i have dove on scuba and shot fish....but like you said, it just isnt the same. Im in it for the "zen." If those guys want to pump their chests and whatever ok ill give it to them. But to rail on a person because he has a different opinion is unacceptable. I can agree to disagree with anyone but those guys just dont get it sometimes. Anyways, Ill continue to post pics without the use of ph :D

• In order for it to be a "sport", there needs to be an athlete, otherwise it's just "specialized" fishing.

What I find funny, is that when someone posts a report about catching fish with a rod and reel, there are no conflicts.

Wasn't Spearboard created by tankers?

Tanks allow you to fill the fridge. Otherwise most would go home with nothing. To me, no different than rod and reel. No expertise or athletic ability needed. I have seen guys dive loaded on oxys and cigarrettes and go down to 100 feet and kill fish.

Here in FL, I have been mostly tank diving because of the damage I have done to my lungs. It allows me to catch fish. I never owned a power head, but I think they are pretty cool. Combine my love for firearms with diving, explosions and big fish! LOL

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and fingers that one points at others, can be pointed back at you. I don't care about the issue myself, so long as its legal. What I don't get is why the mgmt allows these arguments to go on and people to insult each other.

If he values free speech so much(Grogan), then why not let stand comments and threads about how he coerced and strong arms his sponsors and rips off people that do work for him.

I understand that this is a free diving board and opinions here are strong about what is correct and what is not when it comes to harvesting fish. Instead of complaining about it, why not do something about it? When was the last time anyone here started a petition or called your state rep to change laws regarding scuba? Way more productive...

• Well here is my two cents.

I personally dont like the idea of using a powerhead as your main way of capturing fish. I have no problems with powerheads as self defense or even for a second shot on a fish that has gotten out of control to the point that it is a danger to you or other divers. But as for diving with the intent to kill the fish with a powerhead Im not a fan.

I have a similar opinion about scuba spearfishing. If I was to go diving on scuba I might take a gun. Just in case I saw something nice. however I would not intentionally grab my scuba gear with the intent of using it to take fish. I would also keep a tank and other set up on board the boat if I was diving deeper and a fish holed up beyond my ability to remove it on one breath. The tank would prevent the waste of the fishes life and loss of gear.

My thoughts on diving to fill coolers is that its stupid. Very few of the people on either board are forced to catch fish to feed themselves. I personally wont eat fish that hasnt been caught fresh but Im not forced to. If I had to I could go to publix or any other supermarket and buy whatever fish I wanted. I dive because I love being in the water. I love the serenity, the freedom, the marine life, the quiet. Even line diving I find a similar sense of inner peace that I havent found any other way. If I end up cathing fish it is only a bonus.

One of my biggest problems with society in general is how people treat opinions. Everyone has their own opinion and their own reasons for it. Thats fine with me. My problem is when people try to force other people to accept their opinion. It is one thing to debate a topic and provide evidence for and against but when it turns into an attack thats when it has gone to far. On this forum I specifically remember the thread about the freediving classes. Dan posted his views on why he dislikes the courses and myself and a few others responded for reasons we thought they were helpful. At no point did anyone attack Dan or anyone else because they didnt agree and even though Dan's opinion and my own have not changed I think both of us learned something about a different viewpoint.

Ok Im done off to class.

• Well said about respect. That is the key ingredient in a successfully forum.

Regarding fresh fish vs market fish. Nothing beats fresh.

Regarding PHs . Anyone that scuba dives deep, knows the implications of not being able to ascend when that time comes. That is second to none, the main reason why divers die. A large fish will drag you down, rip you up or cause you to not ascend on time. That can be bad and end even worse. A lot of these guys are also full time or part time commercial takers. Time is money. Put the fish to sleep and move on to the next one. Very efficient.

I am curious to hear opinions on line fishing. Archery versus bullets. Clubs versus archery. Slingshots versus clubs. Walking versus biking. Bikes versus unicycles. Cars versus levitation. Hamburgers versus hot dogs. Dogs versus cats. Cats versus pigs. Pigs versus cows. :D

If a scuba diver is cheating, a scuba power header is double cheating. We should all put away the reels and guns and give fish a fair chance by grabbing em by the tail. If that don't work, I suggest hypnosis!

• If your harvesting fish for consumption to feed your family or tribe I don't think you owe anyone an apology how you accomplish the task. There is something to be said for a safe clean harvest. Spearboard is a circular firing squad that benefits proclosure activist, NOAA, DFG and Grogan.