Another Spearboared Gem

• Anyone that scuba dives deep, knows the implications of not being able to ascend when that time comes. That is second to none, the main reason why divers die. A large fish will drag you down, rip you up or cause you to not ascend on time.

It takes experience to know what fish you can safely deal with, we strive to be ethical and not go for a fish we can't land. Sometimes we push our limits and can bite off more than we can chew, that's the nature of hunters. If that happens let go of the fish. If you can't let go of a fish and don't have the possibility to cut a line then the situation is much worse and no powerhead is going to fix it, the PH may make the situation even more dangerous. The guy who posted that thread and others like him, are diving with the intention of using a powerhead to kill a fish in the first place, that's completely different. Can they do it, is it legal? Yes. Do I like it, want to hear about it? No.

Or I may have misunderstood what you're saying. Do you mean that they're doing it because it's the only way to take the fish safely? I don't buy it, it's not just about the fish it's about the whole experience, and if that's the experience they're after then that is lame. When I first started spearfishing the only book I could find on the subject was the Hell Divers Rodeo, the book is about the oil rig divers of Louisiana. I was impressed with their exploits, taking big risks to hunt big fish very deep, albeit on scuba. I still have a respect for those guys, they seem to be all about the excitement of subduing a big fish, and I've never seen a mention of powerheads. So it can be done.

• Lee, you hit the nail on the head of what I was trying to express in my first post...the line is moveable for everyone. some people find guns are too much of an advantage and they use polespears or slings. what about long blades? masks? wetsuits? all of these things give us an advantage and it can be comical to parse out what is sprting and what isnt...to me, I can be super sporting about it but I wont take home much food :)

to me, arguing about it is like arguing that you are cheating the fish with a 120 cm gun because a 90 cm is more sporting.....the line can be pushed a little here and there and is for each person as they set their standards...as long as we as a community are within a few deviations of each other and are respectful of each other, there is room for a lot of different opinions.

and for the record...Biking owns walking, Unicycles own bicycles, levitation owns all other forms of transport, Dogs destroy cats, and duh...hamburgers

i like to spear fish

• I like red carpet better than green.

Think PH is not sporty.

Like the fact that people can have a difference of opinion and can agree to disagree in a civilized manner more

Like I said on the other board, if you want to shoot a ph or blow bubbles (I have done it many times) I don't care. If you want to pump your chest give me the common courtesy to say you shot it with a PH so I can bypass the thread.

My feelings safety wise is if I cannot handle a fish do to its size, conditions of the dive etc (think you can understand) then I personaly wont shoot it. However, to each his own.

• Oooohhh.... I love these kinda threads. Outdoor sports and their definitions.

When it comes to fishing ,I love fly fishing . It's as close to merging fishing and hunting into one basket as you can get. Spearfishing is hunting sub-surface. Bowfishing is hunting at surface. With either , at the shot you know what's coming to the urface. You what you shot. I love the aspect of H&L where you really don't know. You feel a subtle lift or 'tap'....and it could be a diminutive brookie on there or hybrid striped bass that'll go 15 lbs.. You just don't know.
    Now to break it down further. You have wet fly purist,dry fly fly purist, Spey guys and switchers....and the you have a relatively new group....the eastern Tenkara guys. Tenkara is awesome ,by the way on small streams. I now own 2 tenkara rods.

Bird hunters. If it's a bumped bird you can't shoot it. If you are using anything over a 20 gauge, then you can't shoot. If a dog retrieves a bird and then drops it, it shouldn't count in your bag.

English terrier guys, UK lurchermen and Appalachian houndsmen have their own rules on game......bowhunters can break it down even further.

When are we gonna quit bitching and just get 'out there ' ?