YJ sashimi

• Just got back from a failed wahoo trip but managed to score a big yellow jack, Ive had fresh yellow jack sahimi but from smaller and worm free fish, this one however was a big jack 30"+ and after cleaning I found a worm in his stomach and some alien looking sand flea in his gills, the meat looks great though. Should I just deep fry the cuts or freeze over nigh?

• Nice fish man, 30" is a quality yj. If you're dead set on sashimi just freeze it. I've always used a flashlight to shine through the filet, it makes finding the worms super easy. My dad made a plexiglass topped filet table with a few fluorescent lights mounted under the glass for the soul purpose of finding worms in big AJs.

• The parasite in the gills is fairly common, they won't hurt you. Most fish have worms in the gut, pelagics get it as it works its way up the food chain from the bait. Usually on fish that are wormy I'll only eat the upper muscle portion above the lateral line for sashimi, and even then I'll try to freeze it first (you have to use a commercial freezer if you really want to be safe). I never, ever eat the stomach portion raw.

I also usually immediately gut the fish before I put it on the boat with ice, that keeps the worms in the gut from crawling into the meat. You also never want to eat a freshwater fish as sashimi, your body chemistry is too similar and the parasite has a greater chance of surviving.

• Unusual use for a light table, interesting.

This is actually pretty common practice in AK for processing fish that contain parasites from what I hear.
    Love those YJ's

"Whiskey don't make liars, it just makes fools. So, I didn't mean to say it, but I meant what I said."
    -James McMurtry

• Nice fish man, 30" is a quality yj. If you're dead set on sashimi just freeze it. I've always used a flashlight to shine through the filet, it makes finding the worms super easy. My dad made a plexiglass topped filet table with a few fluorescent lights mounted under the glass for the soul purpose of finding worms in big AJs.

The fish was shot on scuba by a good buddy of mine