Pigtail snap & swivel for speargun muzzle bungee

• i did a little fail test today with a normal and pigtail swivel . i thought the pigtail would jam up and hold and the standard would fail ,i was wrong.the pigtail did hold its shape longer but once the standard locked up the pigtail straightend out .the swivels i used are from neptonics but it looks like they are from the same source as pursuit. i will still use pigtails on my inshore gear because my mono will beak long before the swivel and the pigtail is ezer to use and will not accidently pop open . on my tuna /bluewater gear i only use shackles
    fail testing standard and pigtail swivels.avi - YouTube
    phil

• Phil, can you explain what's going on in that test? It's not clear but it looks like you're doing both snaps at once?

yes, that way they both have the same force applied. if you test one at a time you need a scale that records max load . the eye on one was tied to the tow hitch on my truck ,then a loop both swivels are attached to then the eye on the other swivel was tied to a tree ,then i just slowly backed up until the pop . its not the best quality video but it told me what i wanted to know.
    phil

• i have done it twice . the standard deforms and locks up very fast and with little force(it will catastrophically fail a little after it locks up) ,the pigtail holds its shape longer,and deforms at a much higher load , but fails catastrophically. im going to do it one more time and try to film it better . i would still use the pig tail over the standard.
    phil

• I don't understand. If you're using both and one fails why would the other then fail?

i will post pics in the am .
    the normal swivel deformed and locked up , but did not release the line.
    the pig tail did not deform until the normal locked up, but then straightened out and released the line .
    phil

• So if I understand correctly, under the same load the coast lock snap will deform and lock but you will not lose the fish (hypothetically speaking), whereas the pigtail will fail completely? I think this needs to be done at least 3 times with consistent results to be sure. I find it amazing that the pigtail straightened out. I still contend that it's easier to use. But if there's at least a 50lb difference in capacity then that goes in favor of the the coast lock snap. Still I'm sticking with the pigtail for convenience, until it fails on me, but I don't foresee that happening with the fish I take.

• So if I understand correctly, under the same load the coast lock snap will deform and lock but you will not lose the fish (hypothetically speaking), whereas the pigtail will fail completely? I think this needs to be done at least 3 times with consistent results to be sure. I find it amazing that the pigtail straightened out. I still contend that it's easier to use. But if there's at least a 50lb difference in capacity then that goes in favor of the the coast lock snap. Still I'm sticking with the pigtail for convenience, until it fails on me, but I don't foresee that happening with the fish I take.

almost . in the video the standard deformed and locked up and the pigtail was still more or less fine ,only after the normal locked up did the pigtail start to straighten out . in the video the pig tail is on the right.

when i do it again i will zoom in more ,and pull much slower , when i did this one i had no idea it would be so ez ,and fast . i didnt even touch the throttle just the truck rolling back did it .

i agree it needs to be done a few times to be a true test
    phil

• When you do the test it should be done with 400 lb mono to see the relevance. Anything greater than your shooting line is not important. A typical 480 lb swivel will hold the biggest fish that most of us will ever shoot. I use a 270 lb for my reef fish rig and have never been broken off. Just saying....

• When you do the test it should be done with 400 lb mono to see the relevance. Anything greater than your shooting line is not important. A typical 480 lb swivel will hold the biggest fish that most of us will ever shoot. I use a 270 lb for my reef fish rig and have never been broken off. Just saying....

i can test against mono,but i know its stronger than mono. im simply want to know what type of swivel is stronger if i test with something that fails before the swivel i learn nothing but the fact that the swivel is stronger than mono, and i already know that. mono is changed all the time ,a swivel is reused for years.
    phil

• Another thing I notice is that the rope is too thick for the design of the snap swivel. The snap swivel is very strong only where it curves. I think wire or thinner dyneema equivalent to 400lb mono thickness is a more accurate test.

• Another thing I notice is that the rope is too thick for the design of the snap swivel. The snap swivel is very strong only where it curves. I think wire or thinner dyneema equivalent to 400lb mono thickness is a more accurate test.

Good observation, I agree. It's definitely worth testing again with thin line that's stronger than 400lb mono. It will also be interesting to see if the line fails before the snap.