Pathos Fireblade and Salvimar 4One reviews

• Don't be fooled, that's a very soft blade in that video, it would be a noodle in the water.

I actually used it and thought it was real good, although I was just kicking around a 100 foot long, 20 foot deep pool. Next time at the pool, I want to hook myself to one of those hanging spring scales and see how many pounds of thrust I can generate. Of course, there are a number of flaws with this "experiment," but I maybe any noodle fins would be outed by it. In the pool most of my fins felt good, although the HSD carbons were significantly stiffer (maybe a good candidate for tendon-less pockets) and the Pierre von Eecke's were a lot softer (not quite a noodle, but they might feel that way if dragging an ulua up from 40m). What was the fin in your video? You forgot to put in three minutes of still photography to burn the brand into my retina.

• LOL it's the same fin Speardiver.

How do you know that you were using the same stiffness fin in the pool that was demonstrated in the video? Was the blade twisted and bent in the exact same way in front of you? I'm sure that the blade in the vid is very soft. I've handled a lot of carbon fins from different manufactures, no fin with backbone will do that. And yes it will become apparent when you'll need to generate power in real conditions. BTW I do like and use soft fins, but not that soft.

• How do you decide on the shape for the end of the blade? I noticed in one picture there is a concave curve, and in another, convex. What are the advantages of each?

I've always wondered the same thing, does the extra material on the convex tip provide a noticeable difference? I used to own a pair of DiveRs, which have the convex tip.. currently I'm using my backup leaderfins which are concave.. can't really make a legitimate comparison when they're 2 different brands.

• IMO as far as propulsion, if there is a performance difference between the different front edge terminations it is so small that it's negligible, the edge can be straight and it won't matter much. The rest is eye appeal. I find that old timers like the rounded edge, I think it reminds them of the first longfins from Sporasub. The main reason for the different edges is product differentiation.

In the case of the Pursuit fins, the C100 being longer and less maneuverable than the C90, I thought that the lack of corners on the front edge will make the blade a little less likely to catch on stuff when turning on the bottom. Also optically the round shape makes the blade look not as long as it really is, I like that because otherwise it looks really long.

• What you want in a fin

Pathos footpocket if you can fit in it. Footpocket is just so light.

Carbon fiber

Medium to medium soft

Decent on the surface swims

Light

Durable

inexpensive

People spend so much money switching fins back and forth. Pursuit is very a good fin and is priced real well. I do not see myself switching to another fin. Is it the best fin out there? I do not know. But I do know that spending money for a 5% improvement if that, is not worth it. A better dviing form and finning technique will go so much further than a different carbon blade.

• THERE YOU GO! I use what I found is good for me.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• I believe there was a very good article written in the greek magazine DEEP a while back about his....

Just to be clear, carbonio GFT and salvi mar are both distributed by the same guy....and hatch customs too I believe..... I dont want anyone to take that poorly, and think that was meant negatively, on the contrary I think its awesome there are more brands and or manufacturers in the states.....I personally introduced salvi mar to the NE market through a friend of mine in RI.

That said..... diving equipment is not ment to be generic like jeans or shoes...you find the size and color and boom, buy it and go

Thats why there are so many different brands that produce slightly similiar but different products....

Truth be told, the majority of the stuff made is not intended for 200+lb guys....The power needed to lift a guy from the bottom that wieghs that much is huge.... i know should know I'm 235lbs

@ fishon, those are some impressive numbers....You wouldnt happen to be Kurt Chambers? I know a couple of deep guys out there....its just stuck out because he has similar dive profiles...

• That said..... diving equipment is not ment to be generic like jeans or shoes...you find the size and color and boom, buy it and go

Thats why there are so many different brands that produce slightly similiar but different products....

Thats not exactly true. To run your jeans analogy into the ground a bit. Yes many aspects of jeans are slightly different. But even with a pair of jeans the industry has decided on a number of standards that jean manufacturers usually stick to. The belt loops, button, pockets, and stitching will for the most part all be the same. These standards or defacto standards exist either because its the best way to do something, or because they offer conveinience and interoperability the customer demands.

One of the biggest issues being raised about these footpockets is that metaphorically they are essentially jeans with a slot in the belt loops. The only belts that actually fit the jeans are special slotted belts from the same company. I think anyone would agree this kind of "purposefully pointlessly proprietary" stuff stinks and offers no benefit to customers, and should urge manufacturers to stick to standards that work.