Freezing mackerel?

• I shot a pretty big spanish mac this morning, and I'd really love to freeze it until I can get to a smoker.. which is 3 months from now. I'm aware that mac doesn't keep so well, and I'm prepared to eat it for every meal for the next several days.. but has anybody tried freezing them with a really good vacuum seal?

• That was super quick. Thanks Dan, I'll look into it.

• There's a debate about freezing fish and cleaning with salt water vs. fresh water over on Florida sportsman. They say if you clean the fish with fresh water and freeze it the water that is in the meat expands and makes the meat mushy :confused1: I usually clean my fish at the dock or on the boat and rinse with ocean water

• Ive always tried to keep the fish as dry as possible up to the point that I freeze them in a little bit of water. I think as long as the fish doesnt soak up the water before its frozen it should be fine. Its worked well for me so far.

• I've caught and frozen a lot of spanimacs and frozen them in a vacuum sealer, always with good results.. 3 months is probably the longest they've been kept before eating,, maybe 4 months

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• I've done a lot of research and experimenting on freezing techniques. The best results require flash freezing. The longer it take a fish to freeze the more cellular damage is done. I use dry ice and alcohol slurry at -40 degrees. Storage is also important. A freeze thaw freeze cycle will damage the fish. Freeze once and fast.

• I've done a lot of research and experimenting on freezing techniques. The best results require flash freezing. The longer it take a fish to freeze the more cellular damage is done. I use dry ice and alcohol slurry at -40 degrees. Storage is also important. A freeze thaw freeze cycle will damage the fish. Freeze once and fast.

That is bad ass. Will that hurt the cooler if you use the alcohol and dry ice slurry?

BOBBERRYFISHCARVINGS.COM