Subsistence Chukchi hunters spearing walrus

• I recently watched a TV series that's available through Netflix streaming called Medicine men go wild. I really enjoyed it, it's a no BS program that explores the medicinal practices of primitive cultures. In episode 3 that was filmed with the Chukchi people they covered some of their hunting practices, which include spearing walrus.

What first caught my eye was the spear, it was obviously not designed for holding and I wanted to see how it's used. I was really surprised at the placement of the spear thrust. The hunt or killing left a strong impression on me. As well as the skill and demeanor/conduct of the hunters. I understand the language and was surprised at how articulate the hunters were, and could deduce from their tone of voice that they're completely unpretentious. I think only real hunters can have this attitude, I've seen it among spearfishermen too.

I just uploaded this to youtube, I think it may not last long so watch it while you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUEKCr1vn20

• Wow! Really interesting.

I can imagine that Tainos and Caribes did the same with manatees here in the Caribbean. They were a huge and "easy" source of protein.

Thanks for posting.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Wow, that is something else. Those spears are very effective at their job. Dan, I think the spear placement must be related to the thick skin on the fore end of the walrus (protection from other tusks). It seems like the spear enters quite easily where it is placed. Thanks for the link.

"Whiskey don't make liars, it just makes fools. So, I didn't mean to say it, but I meant what I said."
    -James McMurtry