San Diego Conditions

• it looks like this weekend will be incredible for diving, i hope someone is going out! i've been landlocked for a month because of surgery and this is friggin killing me, someone please go shoot something and put up some pics and a story to keep me sane!

• North county sucked today but is improving from last week. I went out in three different spots with my new 8ft Crist spear to learn how to handle it and hopefully bring home a halibut. I could see 10-12ft but wouldn't have been able to make out a halibut from much further than 6ft. I saw only one halibut and it was sub-legal so I decided to take home another sand dweller.

See you guys in the water

• Knarly, I heard those are a pain to clean. I'm up north right now but if you plan on diving over the weekend let me know.
    -marco

• Looks interesting. Some kind of shark or ray? How's the yield?

Hey Dan- This is an angel shark. They live in the sand, buried like halibut and flounder. They are ambush predators with some pretty ferocious teeth. There are over a dozen species world wide. The yield was very good (see photo), and the meat is awesome. Next time I've got an empty fridge, I'm going to take another.

Knarly, I heard those are a pain to clean. I'm up north right now but if you plan on diving over the weekend let me know.
    -marco

They are not a pain to clean at all. This was my first angel so I was ready for the worst but it was as easy as cleaning a rabbit. I stoned this one so I don't know however if their gear wrecking fight that they are known for is real or bs like the 'hard to clean' thing. But at this point I would say you should give one a 'shot!' :D

I'll be in touch.

Edited once, last by Kirby ().

• Conditions were worse today than yesterday in my backyard. Vis was ~8ft but halibut hunting distance was only 3-5. Regardless I managed to scrape up this little bugger...

Marco- Fish party at my place when you get back!

• Very cool picture man. It took me a moment to actually visualize what it was, I was perceiving the tale as an extension of its mouth.