Abalone season opens in a month. What are your plans?

• Thinking about heading up North for some Abalone and Lingcod in April. Was wondering if you guys are plotting your NorCal dives already? I have a week off in April so I am contemplating a trip up there just need to figure out where to launch my buddies achilles from.

• Albion is a great place to camp an dive. Has a nice dock you can tie up to for a few nights so you don't have to launch every day. I posted a video up on this board and I was based out of Albion...

I'm planning on making a trip up there this April/May since I may miss this summer season due to relocating for work, depending on if the boat deal goes through...

Cheers

Long Beach Neptune

USCG 50GT

• Thanks for the help. I hope your boat deal goes through and you make it out. How is the visibility in April compared to the summer? How about the water temperature? Thanks again. :)

• Vis always ranges up there on a daily basis, so anywhere from 6" to 30'. Temp will prob be low 50s

Long Beach Neptune

USCG 50GT

• Only dove for Abs once in Mendo. We stayed at Russian Gultch Campground and dove some public access points. I know you can launch a kayak at Van Damme State Park, not sure about an inflatable. I was there in August and we had 57* water with 30+ ft vis. Abs are everywhere and very tasty.
    good luck

• There is also Ocean cove campground in Sonoma co. near salt piont state park. They have one of the few launch ramps in all of Sonoma coast. You can launch boats up to 17' on high tide. There
    are great Abs all over that area. But it is true if you want to know the ropes up north login to NorCalUnderwaterhunters forum and ask those guys.

• Van Damme is fine for inflatables; you have to carry or drag across beach but calm launch. Nice campground; we have around 30 people (half kids) there on Labor day. Kayaking in that area is superb as long as it's calm, but plenty of abs right in the cove if it's not.There's closer places than Mendocino, but if you're coming from Socal what's another hour? Water temp in April-May usually around low 50's or even less possibly, dress warm! Viz varies with swell, but should be no risk of plankton bloom that time of year. Definitely check new regs for Fort Ross-Reef campground area; I think it opens later there now.

"It's the Ocean Flowing in our Veins"

• X1000
    4 hour drive north for 3 snails ,that i mostly just give to friends vs 4 hour drive south for wsb ,no question where im going
    phil

4 hours my ass, I've driven with you!!
    Don't so much care about abs these days, but WSB.... yummm.

By the way Hookinfish, no need to wait until April for Lincod; It's open year round since last year, and it's 22" now instead of 24".