New guy from MI

• Hey Gang, great site...been lurking and learning where I can. New to spear-fishing, used to be Scuba cert'ed but let it lapse quite a while ago. I plan I getting back into the water this spring and will likely start out spear fishing as a free diver here in MI. Yup, it will be cold and vis will stink but I got the bug so I'll do what I gotta do.

Thanks for looking...

Lee

• Thanks Gents! I have a JBL 38-special 42" Woody elite coming in the mail but I can already see/tell it won't be long before I am making my own gun! (love that section of the boards, some very talented folks on here!)

• G'Duy & welcome, Lee! What's the water temp up there right now?

NOAA is showing surface temps for Lake MI from 38-40 right now...pretty chilly.

I need to figure out what type/thickness wetsuit I'll be needing for this type of diving...I am in the research mode right now.

• YoudaMAN! Get some! :thumbsup2:

I don't know how experienced you are, but since you're researching, I'll give you as much info as I can. If you get an open cell 7mm, err to the larger side if you're torn between 2 sizes. My Sporosub 7mm top is a bear to get off because it could be just a tad bigger. Its 5.5mm bottom is not a problem, as they're easier anyway. 7mm's don't have much stretch, period -and tops could use any stretch they can give you. This link has helped me immensely by studying it the first few times I donned and (especially) doffed my top: en_Vestizione Study it before and after the first few times and you won't damage your top like most do (by pulling the beavertail in frustration). I was still learning from those instructions after the 4th or 5th time! It's in the details/technique.

Movement's not the same, either. It helps if you've been working out to get all your muscles (-ALL of them, especially ones you don't usually use) strong. P90X, plus working the neck works for me. That attached hood is ON there and will tax neck muscles soon if they're not yet strong. YMMV.

Take a serious look at Dan's weight vests, too: diving weight vest They're priced much better than the competition and you'll need a fair bit of weight to weigh a thick suit down enough just to duck. It's nice to have the weight spread out away from the belt because it'd feel a lot more balanced. (I experimented with a weighted camel-back a couple times.)

Use barely enough weight to duck, as the thick suit compresses and becomes less buoyant the farther down you go (which helps) and you DEFINITELY don't want to be over-weighted on the way back up. Weight yourself so you have to fight just a little to duck down, but not enough to wear yourself out. If you can't float up top, you're over-weight. It's horse of a different color.

FWIW, my 7mm top/5.5mm long-john bottom is mostly over-kill for me (as I just don't feel like freediving or even swimming in winter anyway), but would be perfect/required for you up there.

If you've got questions, ask away. There's a wealth of knowledge here on SpearDiver, as these guys are the real deal. I'm just a beginner. :thumbsup5: Hope this helps with your research.

Edited 3 times, last by 75th: punctuation ().

• Ivan, MANY thanks for all the info, advice and help...I can't thank you enough! I read your reply 3 times and learned how much (more) I don't know still.

Thanks for the suit link too, never knew there was an "art" to getting into and out of a suit :laughing: but I can see there definately is!