Cressi Gara Modular fins and foot pockets review

• There has been some issues with the rubber quality on the earlier versions of the Gara Modular, does anyone know if the more recent models have been upgraded / fixed? I just bought a set for a great price and I'm hoping they will last a while.

Also, will the carbon blade fit this foot pocket if I'd want to upgrade eventually? :thumbsup2:

Ohh, Dan do you still have a accurate size guide/recommendation? My foot is 26,5cm / 10.4inches, do you think the 42/43 (8/9) size will fit snug?

Edited once, last by Subsub: addition ().

• as far as the quality of rubber, It feels the same, hard black rubber on the edges with softer grey rubber in the center for fit. Tendonds need to be glued on.
    Gara mod tend to fit narrower feet better.

Carbon fin IMO is rubbish. Friend broke both blades within a year of receiving the fins, (one broke, got replaced, other broke, got replaced) Ive looked at the blades and it seems like there are a bunch of voids (pin holes) between the strands of carbon fiber.

• Gerald and Akira are right - keep in mind that Cressi foot pockets are on the narrow side. (That is, if the the modular pockets are similar in shape to their old counterparts the Gara plastic fins).
    Ideally, like when buying masks, try foot pockets on.
    I have flat wide feet and my old Cressi fins gave me cramps because of the tight pockets. I actually succeeded in widening them with heat and an expansion tool, but just wanted to let people know.

• Thanks for the info guys.

I have quite narrow feet so I think it'll be ok. Yeah, I know I should probably have tried fins before buying but that's a bit of a challenge since I live in Sweden where diveshops selling these kind of fins are rare to say the least.

We have murky waters, a short season and spearfishing is prohibited i.e. the few diveshops we have only keep stock of products they can push volumes of, which spearo / freedive gear is not = I need to get my stuff online and I gotta start somewhere.

Now I needed a modular fin (for ease of travelling purposes) and this was the one I could get quick enough and to a acceptable cost.

Well... Im just gonna have to see how these will the last the summer. I haven't really owned a proper set of freedive fins before, I come from a pair of beat up, scratched up, floppy ol Mares Avanti Superchannel so I think these will be a notch up divingwise anyhow. :)

I was doing about 15mtrs (without pushing it) in the Med. with no weights on the old Mares, it will be interesting to see what I can acheive this season with the new fins and some balance weights on. :)

Sizewise. You think I'm good?

• Kjenna,
    You live in the north or the south?

If in the south, then get a fishing pass for Denmark and cross over. For a handful of years, spearing has been allowed in Oresund, even at night. Good trout, hvar, mullets and cod there in season.
    Otherwise, go to Norway - New Zealand of Europe;). I haven't been yet, but if I lived back home in Denmark, I would most def go.

Here's a recent video from a Danish spearo from his Norway trip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjlG-KeIAk0

• I know. The westcoast people are blessed with possibilities for some seriously nice fishing! Unfortunatly, fishingwise, I'm in Stockholm / east coast i.e. not close to anything interesting and thy murky waters of the lakes around here, Mälaren and the Baltic sea is not very appealing.

• There was a problem with the rubber quality when the Cressi Gara modular foot pockets first came out in 2012. Some pockets would tear easily just from rubbing against the reef, and the tendons would lose their shape popping off the blades. For this reason I stopped selling the Cressi f/p for two years. A year ago (2015) I ordered a pair for myself because I heard the problem was fixed, and have been using the Cressi Gara f/p with Speardiver C90 Carbon blades with no problems. I've since started offering the Cressi Gara f/p again at Freedive Store Cressi Gara Modular Foot Pockets, and sold many without any customers coming back with problems.

I like the Cressi gara modular foot pockets. They have a stiff sole, medium stiffness tendons, soft pocket (I can use it barefoot), blades fit perfectly and are convenient to install. I also like the color scheme and overall design.

The cressi gara modular foot pockets are nothing like the foot pockets of the old Cressi gara one piece fins. Like I said before they're nicely suited for somewhat narrow feet, but will also fit an average width foot. My foot is not narrow, 28cm long (that's US shoe size 11) and Cressi size 44-45 (10-11) is too loose. I must use the 42-43 (8-9) size which fits snug, but not so tight that it's uncomfortable. There's no room for a 3mm sock but I don't need it anyways, I use fins with Lycra socks.

Subsub, given you'll probably be using thicker socks the 42-43 size should fit you well.

• Thanks Dan!

Like I thought Cressi would have adressed the quality issues by now.

Well, I will primarily dive in the Med and I have enough fat on my body to comfortably stay out for 3-4hrs without suit, therefore also without socks.

I'll get the fins home next week and will post my feedback regarding the size as soon as I have tried them on.

Thanks! / E :)

• Got the 42/43s home and juat like Dan said they are quite large. I'm a 43 bordering 44, and still had a 0,5cm gap all around. Ordered 40/41 with delivery to Greece... :D

• Just following up with a quick review.

As already mentioned, the Cressi Gara pocket is HUUUGE and the actual size is nowhere close to the size stated on the pocket.

My foot is 26,5cm, my shoe size in all my shoes is Eur 43 / US 9.

Got the 40/41s by now and I gotta say they are still a bit on the larger side(!). The pocket is long (I don't even see my toes through the front hole when looking from staight above).

It is also quite tight as mentioned. That applies only to the front of the pocket though, the heel is normal to wide.

After my first short run with these (1hr only) I got a pretty bad chafe (I think it's called that anyways...) on the second and third toe from the big toe on both feet. For tomorrows session I think I'll tape the toes to help avoid the chafe.

Compared to my old banged up Mares fins, these are real uncomfortable. Dunno if it will get better with time, but either way I will probably be looking at some dive socks for them.

While diving they have great propulsion but when transporting one self horizontal they.... well they suck (even though all spearo/freedive fins probably are equally bad at this particular thing).

I'm sure it can't compare with the feeling and efficiency in a serious fiber or carbon blade, but
    I don't have so much to compare with so all pros have to take this for what it is, my objective point of view of my first proper fin.

Cheers.

• I would venture a guess that Subsub is talking about surface swimming...?

In Denmark, where most of the hunts are about swimming long distances, quietly, on the surface and then just dropping 1-3m below for the shooting, it is not uncommon for spearos to use ankle weights. Though a tad counter-intuitive it, supposedly, helps with the efficiency and reduces the noise as it keeps the fins more under water during the full cycle of the stroke.