First Spear Project

• FIRST PROJECT!

What I have created is a three piece carbon fiber pole spear. The spear breaks down into three, two foot sections, each with the possibility of having a tip threaded to the end. The thread I used was a 3/8-24, to accomodate GAT-KU tips. The threaded adapters and base plug were hand turned on a lathe using 304 SS. To ensure that the carbon fiber does not fray or become damaged when hitting rocks or traveling, I used a thick industrial heat shrink tubing.

Here is a rendering of the design before I started the manufacturing process.

The base plug, or where the sling is attached has two holes to either accomodate a float line or if I dare a second power band.

Polished of course!

All three sections with tip. A little over 7'.

Two sections or 5' with tip

A little scuplin ceviche courtesy of my three piece taco maker.

• Total without some of the tooling I think I'm in the spear around $100. Time wise it took me about 20 hours on the lathe, no digital read out. The rest only took about 30 minutes to bond everything together, 1 day to cure and maybe another twenty to thirty minutes to do the heat shrink tubing.

• Total without some of the tooling I think I'm in the spear around $100. Time wise it took me about 20 hours on the lathe, no digital read out. The rest only took about 30 minutes to bond everything together, 1 day to cure and maybe another twenty to thirty minutes to do the heat shrink tubing.

excellent, add in the satisfaction of making your own dinner from start to finish and you have a $300 spear rig:cool2:

you need to continue making killing tools, you have a knack:thumbsup2:

i like to spear fish

• Can you please post a link to it. If the other properties are correct it would make for neat carbon fin color.

white,red ,yellow ,or blue "carbon fiber" is just aluminum coated fiberglass ,same property's as glass .if its not black its not cf. it looks really cool as fins i made a set out of silver (white) textlum a couple weeks ago.
    phil

• Thanks Phil. Heads up I tried using Texalium a few years ago but it would delaminate, so no good for fins. Too bad because the colors are beautiful. But it doesn't add any performance anyways.

Sorry for the derail Fungineer.

• I am going to do some static testing to measure the deflection and the center or mid plane at each length with the tip installed. I was wondering what a good weight would be to hand in the middle of the spear, 5-10 pounds or more?