First time using epoxy

• I finally decided to spend the time and epoxy my speargun. I first did two coats 12 hours apart. I was not well prepared and had some fish eye troubles and some running epoxy issues as well. I sanded after the 2nd coat to even things out for the third coat which would had hopefully been it. Well I missed some spots on the third coat so I then came through and applied epoxy to the spots I missed. Then I had runs. No bueno.

I decided to wetsand all the way to 1000 grit and proceeded to buff and polish it out with non silicone based compounds and polishes. I used a foam cutting pad and a foam polishing. I did not need a wool cutting pad. Now it does not look like a Phil Herranen epoxy finish but I am proud of it except for where I sanded through.

So here is my question-

In the spots that I sanded through I was thinking of taping off an area around the epoxy-less area and applying a coat of epoxy then wet sanding and finish by buffing and polishing. Would this work?

Should I use frog tape and when the epoxy starts to set pull the tape?

Any critiquing is awesome.

• Wood looks beautiful. Laying on the surface of those chairs makes for a nice composition.

I'd just touch up the sanded through spots with penetrating epoxy.

I heard most of them suck. Do you know of a good brand of penetrating?

BOBBERRYFISHCARVINGS.COM

• I use to paint guitars with polyurethane and if we sanded through we just repainted them. I used a spray gun and gave it an additional two coats instead of the 4 we usually used. Then when it came to buffing we would just take extra care. If you just epoxy without blending in its hard to sand without getting ridges and creating another bald spot. Good luck. Your gun looks great.

• can you explain blending to me in technical terms? I think you mean blending the fresh epoxy with the old. I would imagine just outside the new epoxy the old epoxy would wear thing from sanding.

BOBBERRYFISHCARVINGS.COM

• If you spray the bald area and slightly thin out the spray as you get away from the bald spot you can get away with it but its tough to do. Its hard to buff out just a portion with out creating another bald spot. Your best bet honestly would be to add a couple more coats and do it again. The formula we used allowed us to sand the next day and do additional coats after an hour. I dont remember the ratio as a machine took care of it for us but we had barrels of polyurethane and methyl ethyl keytone. Good luck.

• Copy that. I think I will do one coat just to cover the bare spots and another coat to cover the surrounding area and the patch.

BOBBERRYFISHCARVINGS.COM

• My suggestion would be be to apply another coat. If the epoxy is thin enough that you sanded through in some areas it probably should be thicker. This will also give the most uniform look. But I was also a little ocd when I epoxied my gun.

• My suggestion would be be to apply another coat. If the epoxy is thin enough that you sanded through in some areas it probably should be thicker. This will also give the most uniform look. But I was also a little ocd when I epoxied my gun.

ya i am seriously thinking of doing another coat.

BOBBERRYFISHCARVINGS.COM