Kayak Repair

• Hey guys...my neighbor threw his ocean kayak away because he is moving and it has a small crack in the back of it which would allow water to enter. Anyone know of any places here in Broward that repair the plastic?

• how small a crack? I have two very old kayaks and i keep them afloat with a combination of plastic welding, g flex and ,believe it or not, that flexseal stuff.

the key is to remember that the kaya kwill flex and breath...you need strong and flexy material which is why the g flex is great for mid to small-large cracks, anything bigger than 8-10" and 1.4" across and i use plastic patch from OK and a plastic welder

i like to spear fish

• how small a crack? I have two very old kayaks and i keep them afloat with a combination of plastic welding, g flex and ,believe it or not, that flexseal stuff.

the key is to remember that the kaya kwill flex and breath...you need strong and flexy material which is why the g flex is great for mid to small-large cracks, anything bigger than 8-10" and 1.4" across and i use plastic patch from OK and a plastic welder

Not too big. Just bought some G-Flex from West Marine..any tips on using this stuff? Also need to buy a soft rack for the car...

• I was thinking you might want to add a brace. Bent aluminum would be best, as it would hold the angle you want and is easy to get, PVC could work too. I would outright screw the brae on and then weld the out side and pour expanding foam in the inside front. Not much, but enough to resist water entry.

Yak safe

i like to spear fish

• I was thinking you might want to add a brace. Bent aluminum would be best, as it would hold the angle you want and is easy to get, PVC could work too. I would outright screw the brae on and then weld the out side and pour expanding foam in the inside front. Not much, but enough to resist water entry.

Yak safe

Good idea on the foam, some closed cell foam will make that thing unsinkable

• I bought it online. It comes in several densities. You want the lightest for this. It is called marine two part expanding foam. I'll search for the site.

Basically you use a brace like I said or fg tape as xan suggested to hold it closed. Then a lot of g flex. Then tilt the yak on its end w the broken end down. Mix a 16oz cup of your foam and pour it in the lowest hatch you have. Allow the foam to settle and expand. Return the yak to normal after 4-6 hours

i like to spear fish

• I bought it online. It comes in several densities. You want the lightest for this. It is called marine two part expanding foam. I'll search for the site.

Basically you use a brace like I said or fg tape as xan suggested to hold it closed. Then a lot of g flex. Then tilt the yak on its end w the broken end down. Mix a 16oz cup of your foam and pour it in the lowest hatch you have. Allow the foam to settle and expand. Return the yak to normal after 4-6 hours

Sounds good... is this the stuff similar to what you were talking about?
    AeroMarine Products - Polyurethane Pour Foam for Insulation and Flotation