How to Put on the Gopro Head Mount - Secure Snorkel Method

• So I made this video for another thread, but I thought I'd post it here as well.

This video shows how I put on my gopro head mount in a way that prevents it from completely falling off underwater. It's free and only takes a second to add an extra level of protection to your gear. This method works by forcing the head mount to tangle with your snorkel whenever it gets knocked off your head. Once tangled the gopro head mount becomes nearly impossible to yank off.

Now this method works perfectly with the Riffe Stable snorkel, which has a specially designed clip to ensure that the snorkel is securely fashioned to your mask. However I wouldn't try this with a cheaper snorkel that only uses a rubber O-ring attachment. This method relies on your snorkel staying attached to your mask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWf1cBweDfY

• Simple and effective, thanks Daniel. I don't see why this wouldn't work with any snorkel. That said I prefer to mount the gopro directly on the mask, this way I know it's always pointing where I'm looking.

Speardiver Stealth Mask with Gopro Mount

<object style="width: 680px; height: 413px;" width="680" height="413" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/us5rs1p6-9c&amp;vq=hd720" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="data" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/us5rs1p6-9c&amp;vq=hd720" /><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/us5rs1p6-9c&amp;vq=hd720" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /></object>

• Simple and effective, thanks Daniel. I don't see why this wouldn't work with any snorkel. That said I prefer to mount the gopro directly on the mask, this way I know it's always pointing where I'm looking.

This method would work with a cheaper snorkel, it just wouldn't be as secure. The Riffe Stable Snorkel was designed with a custom snorkel keeper to make it very secure. I found a large picture of it so you can see what I'm talking about.

I've used the typical snorkel keeper shown below with my cheaper snorkels. And I've had my snorkel pop out of the hole in a rough set of waves. If the snorkel fell off at the same time as your head mount fell off, then both would be lost.

And yah I've been wanting to try out the gopro attached to the mask technique. I want to see if that method could handle my gopro's extra battery pack. Because right now the head mount doesn't fit with the extra battery pack and I typically run out of batteries on my dive.

• I'm not sure what you mean by "cheaper" snorkel. But that riffe snorkel is not so hot for a couple of reasons, one of them being the hard plastic keeper. The first thing I would do is throw away that hard plastic keeper and put on the simple one you have pictured.

• Dan, I dont know if you have experience with the Stable, I do not, but I thnk i see the issue...MOST of the plastic clips that come on snorkel are hot garbage...they are dying to break, in these cases, the figure8 of rubber is the best move. I assume on the stable, but I know on my Tusa snorkel, there is a very robust and well designed retainer clip...I would put the clip on my snorkel up against any other on the market, it is SOLID.

I think what Danile was saying is that he doesnt trust the rubber retainers as much as the riffe one.

i like to spear fish

• Dan, I dont know if you have experience with the Stable, I do not, but I thnk i see the issue...MOST of the plastic clips that come on snorkel are hot garbage...they are dying to break, in these cases, the figure8 of rubber is the best move. I assume on the stable, but I know on my Tusa snorkel, there is a very robust and well designed retainer clip...I would put the clip on my snorkel up against any other on the market, it is SOLID.

I think what Danile was saying is that he doesnt trust the rubber retainers as much as the riffe one.

Yep that's what I was trying to say :thumbsup2:

• Judah, a plastic keeper gets pressed against the head by the mask strap and after a while starts to hurt. That's why I don't like any plastic keeper. My issue with them is not durability. Remember I'm the guy who puts a neoprene sleeves over the mask straps to not have them dig into my ears.

• Judah, a plastic keeper gets pressed against the head by the mask strap and after a while starts to hurt. That's why I don't like any plastic keeper. My issue with them is not durability. Remember I'm the guy who puts a neoprene sleeve over the mask straps to not have them dig into my ears.

Ah I see. Luckily in Californian's that's not an issue we have to deal with.

In California we typically wear 5mm or 7mm freedive suits year round. Anything less and you'd be freezing your butt off! So we always have plenty of cushioning between our heads and our mask/snorkel.

You basically have to put the gopro head mount on the outside of your hood if you want to stay warm out here.

On a side note: If divers didn't wear a tight sealing hood in California we'd end up with a condition called "surfer's ear". It's not a fun thing to have since it requires surgery to fix.

• My bad Dan, you are right. I had your plastic storkel retainer complaint mixed up w someone else's :)

I never thought about having the mask over the hood but for the cold of course you do. I only ever put my hood on if I am already in the water and there are a lot of jellyfish. So my mask I always under the hood.

i like to spear fish

• Don have you gotten your gopro yet? I am dying for some DP slaying action. Like a Jimi Hendrix solo I imagine : notworthy3:

Don has a gopro?

You better not be holding out on us Don :nono:

Let's see what videos you've made :toast: