New Diver: Mako Competition Freediver or Cressi Gara 3000 LD?

• So I go to Sport Chalet asking for freediving fins. I leave with Mares Avanti x3 open heel and Deep See Carribean booties. Fail. Returned. I've done a fair amount of research since and I've narrowed my search down to two fins. It seems the Cressis are super soft (which appeals to be as a beginning freediver), while the Makos are less $$ and able to be taken apart (great for travel; repairs). I've read a bit about each fin independently but I wanted input for people that may have tried both, or strongly feel one way or the other about one of these. Is the Mako a stiffer blade? Minimizing fatigue probably my major concern for now. I wear a tennis shoe/hiking boot size Men's 9 btw.

Edited once, last by Sabatier: Edited title to reflect my question has been addressed. ().

• open heel fins are a no go for freediving. The cressi garas are probably the most common plastic long fin, they come in two different stiffness's I believe the 3000 is softer and the 2000 is a bit firmer and more popular. I've read a lot of reviews saying the 3000s are too soft. Hopefully someone on here that uses them will chime in. Ultimately I would say go for whichever fits your foot better, footpocket comfort is of the utmost importance.

• I've never tried the Cressi's (I've heard nothing but good things about them) but I have 3 other fins I use regularly:

Mares Avanti Quattro

These are my scuba/shallow beach dive fins. They are shorter than most freedive fins but are still long enough to use on the shallower stuff (<30ft) I like them because the foot pocket is comfortable ( I have a wide foot) and they offer a good amount of thrust for their size. I picked them up for $100.

Mares Razor Pro

The Avanti Quattro footpockets were comfortable so I bought these because the foot pocket feels amazing for my feet. These are my goto fins for the deeper stuff but I have used them on plenty of beach dives with no problems.

Riffe Silent Hunter Fins

These fins are a little stiffer than my Mares so I don't like to use them for beach dives but they are excellent fins. I find that the foot pockets are a little more narrow however than then Mares so they aren't as comfortable for my foot.

Like Mike said above, find a fin that has a comfortable foot pocket and choose that. Nothing sucks more than getting foot cramps out in the middle of the ocean!

• The Mako plastic fin is very stiff. The foot pockets are great. I have a couple pairs of them and most other brand blades fit up well in them.

The Cressi Garas are OK. The bad thing is that you are stuck with them as they are. They are probably one of the most narrow foot pockets, so you will want to stay away from them if your foot is a D width or wider.

I would suggest searching for a modular type foot pocket that is comfortable and then look for blades. that fit up well in them.

While I have the Mako foot pockets and like them a lot, I have no experience with the Fiber Glass blades they offer, so I can make no comment on them.

I have a pair of Cressi Gara 2000 that should fit you and if you foot is not too wide if you are interested in a cheap pair. They have little use on them and I would be willing to ship them to you for $75.

• Thanks for your input. I'm happy to get feedback from those with real experience, and I appreciate everyone having taking the time to help out. I think the moral of the story is to find a LDS to ensure a proper fit.

Hardline, I really like the modularity of the Razor Pros...and at $109 shipped @leisurepro its a better price than I could get the Cressi 2000/3000's for.

John, Thanks for the heads up on the Makos. Those are off the table now. I'd rather have used gear that works for me rather than new gear that doesn't. I'll consider your offer, but I am afraid the 2000's may be too stiff for me. After I hit up some real dive shops tomorrow hopefully I'll have a better idea of what I'm really looking for (I'll also be able to research tomorrow's question: decent low volume mask). My shoe size is 9 regular (D) btw.

Dan, The fins in the thread title: Mako Competition Freediver and Cressi Gara 3000 LD. I'll take John's word that the Makos may be too stiff for a beginner.

Edited once, last by Sabatier ().

• I personally have nothing but good things to say about the Gara 3000's. They were the first pair of long blade fins I bought and they have held up great. For me at 6'1" and 185lbs they were plenty stiff and Im a very athletic person. If you are a lot bigger than I am I would recommend the 2000"s but if not stick with the 3000's

I have taken the 3000's down to 100' fsw with no problem so you really shouldnt be worried about depth. I dont think the 3000's are too soft and they are comparable to most of the modular fins available in stiffness. Unless you absolutely need a fin that can be taken apart the 3000's are the best plastic fin on the market.

• Try the search function of the forum also, a lot of these topics about gear (like your next question about a mask) and this fin debate has been thoroughly (and very comprehensively) covered in the past. How to choose fins, masks, a snorkel, a wet-suit, a weightbelt booties gloves and everything else is all highly personal, but as far as the user independent pros and cons of gear you can prob find a 10 page thread on just about anything around here

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• LunkerBuster, Yes, budget is a concern. I'd like to spend no more than $150 on fins...after all, I still need other gear. Those are beautiful fins though...in my dreams.

Wishihadgills, I should have mentioned in my post that I'm 6'0", 168 lbs. Lean athletic build. I'll see in person if the 3000's are a good fit, as it has been written time and time again that they're not only bombproof but soft and easy on the legs for beginners.

sdeisen, You're absolutely correct. That's the reason I joined these forums: multipage threads on just about every piece of equipment imaginable. Searching the threads led me to narrow down my search to the two fins listed. I found no threads comparing the two fins in question so I felt it safe to post my question. I just couldn't get a feel for whether or not the Mako fin was as soft as the 3000 LD--which, from John I've gathered they are not. Indeed, as far as masks are concerned, I'm considering the Micromask variants (whether Spetton, IST or Speardiver) due to what I've read on these forums. Also the Omer Zero Cubed. But of course masks only work if they fit, so I'll see what I can find at the LDS first. I was really traumatized by asking for a freediving setup at Sport Chalet and walking out with open heel Avanti x3's, a clear Big Eyes mask and a whizbang Aqualung Impulse 3. :laughing3: I'd like not to repeat this.

• Found a great LDS less than 10 miles from my house. The only one that carries freediving equipment from here to Huntington or Malibu as far as I could tell. They carry IST, AQA, Gull and their rebranded (and more expensive) counterparts. I walked out fully equipped at a very reasonable price--well below the prices I've seen on the Internet. As far as fins go, I went with the IST 'FRA01 Fathom Blue' apnea diving footpockets, size M/L, equipped with gray blades (most flexible blade option). Looks like a rebranded Mares Razor, but with more rubber at the tendon joint...perhaps to address the reportedly soft tendon of the Razor footpocket. When I grow out of the soft gray blades I can swap them out for more stiff black blades, or opt to move into a fiberglass or carbon blade. Most importantly, everything I purchased fits me perfectly.

Overall length: 90 cm; Blade dimension, effective (H x W): 22 cm x 60 cm
    FRA01 - IST Sports

Here's photo from my phone:

• ^Not really a good photo of the fins: Here's a few more of the footpockets., and one of the tendon. Just wanted to get these on here since I didn't see this fin elsewhere.