Country boys...life on the farm....

• This morning Jake, Mo, Tino and I were headed to the beach to try and catch some tiger shrimp fry with my newly constructed net.
    As we were nearing the pump station for the farm, Cesar, the farm manager was pointing out into the supply canal. We thought he was saying "crocodile" but we threw rocks at it and it didn't move. Finally we saw the tail fin above the water. Here was this big barracuda stranded on the sand bar. After the pumps shut down, the water level in the canal drops pretty fast so I guess he got stranded.
    Tino swam across the canal with a kitchen knife I keep in my truck and stabbed....or I should say, SPEARED it in the head....with a fricken kitchen knife? Ever hear of that before? haha
    . It started jumping around so he sat on it and brained it. Jake jumped in and swam over to cut its gills. Blood literally squirted out like a small faucet. I'd never seen that but I've never cut one's gills out of the water like that.
    We didn't weigh it but I'm guessing over 30 lbs.
    Mo swam out first but he was hesitant to stab it. hah.
    Mo and Tino's father's name was Matamoros, or Moor KIller in Spanish. We've changed it to Matabarro....:thumbsup2: Country boys.....

• I think this fish grew up in our canal. He couldn't have passed through the pump if he was more than a fry in size. And we're 14 miles from the reef. No parrot fish or coral and algae eaters come into our canal. Sprats, grunts, a few small jacks. I think it should be ok. We got an 80 lb goliath out of the same place in the canal a couple years ago and no one got sick.

• Cool story. I'd have expected to hear something like this first with a redneck and an alligator gar. I don't understand why the cuda let him get close enough to stab?

Maybe he'd tired himself out trying to get off that little sandbar covered with algae, or he was getting sick. He had a few spots on his side that looked almost like he was bitten by another fish. But I've seen those lesions on tilapia when we raised the salinity too high.
    As a matter of fact, the salinity in our canal has been low due to recent rains. Maybe that weakened it a bit?

I wish I had gotten it on video. I'm new to this iPhone shit and the damn thing was sitting in my truck, 15 feet away while we watched it all go down. Tino is stoked though. He's a "MAN" now. haha

This...I THINK it was this one....barracuda was becoming a bit of a legend here. A lot of the farm guys had said they'd seen a big one in the canal. And about a year ago, Jake saw a big one near the surface on the edge of the canal and poked at it with a piece of rebar. It actually came back and bit the rebar. Nasty temper. Maybe was this one.