Hunting dog snappers

• Yeah, we dive from a 25' Imemsa with a four-stroke Yamaha. Super easy to get in and out of, and we range out about 35 miles from the island.

• This is from a few months ago, but one I really had to work for. It was really fun. Shallow water. They come in to roost at night and there were a lot of schoolmasters and small muttons around. This one and a few other big ones were moving around like ghosts....just out of range. I did about 15 dives to only about 12 feet or so. Laying and waiting. Finally he got a little careless. True hunting. I love that.

[/IMG]

• Hank, using the same me method to clean reel and mechanism

here we call it the bucket "Cuñete"

Your beautiful and practical fishing boat we call "peñero"

José

Un Hombre tiene que creer en algo.......
    Creo que me iré de pesca!!!

• Nice doggie and good job on that.

As for the panga, looks very nice but I prefer the tiller steering because it's simpler (mechanically) and quicker to move around. We're mostly drift diving over specific spots using GPS reference to enter the water. You can easily get very accurate on entering the water to cover even different spots on the same wreck, etc. Plus we do a lot of "trolling" (hanging on a line off the transom looking for fish) and following the reef. The tiller steering is a lot less work to follow something that is quite jagged.

• Yes, we move away when the divers enter the water - moving a little up current and off to the side. The panga can drift along with the diver, but usually the wind will vary a little from the current, so separation increases a little. Even with a small console for the electronics/storage, picking up the diver is straightforward and easy to do quickly and safely.

• My first boat I had in San Pedro was tiller operated. It is more responsive. With the twins and hydraulic steering on mine, it turns like a barge.

BUT, the ride home with following crossed seas, the high seat behind a console is a LOT more dry and comfortable. I know, we go out to get wet and dive, but after 6 hours in the water it's nice to stay high and dry coming home. :D

And as Dan mentioned, I have a much broader view of what's in front of me. Case in point...one of my best buddies here was fishing with his family in a place where he and I fished a LOT. Here came a boat just like mine....he could see it for a couple miles away. He was anchored in a channel. The boat just kept coming...and coming. It ran right over him and killed his mother. He has the propellor scars across his stomach. The guy driving the boat never saw them because his high bow was right in line with them. Tiller operated sitting low in the stern.

I bought my boat a couple months later and put that high console on there for that reason. A lot of the locals laugh at it but it's very functional.

• I really like this peñero/panga 270 ", supports up to 2x130hp 2T / 2x115hp 4t, 300 liters fuel, bathe little waves, can install on the floor cellars for fish, almost sportfishermanpanga :D

José

Un Hombre tiene que creer en algo.......
    Creo que me iré de pesca!!!

• Cool boat. How do you exit the water, over the side? Can you leave all your gear on? We're getting in and out around 50 times per day and the 25' Imemsa is a piece of cake to pull yourself in over the side.

• I think the Imemsa might have a couple more inches of freeboard than mine. It's easy to climb in. A good fin kick and a "muscle up" move and you're in. I don't even take off my weight belt.