Cuban homemade spearfishing gear, pneumatic speargun

• During my time in Cuba I was impressed with the ingenuity of the Cuban spearfishermen, finding solutions for diving and spearfishing gear that we take for granted. Some equipment is better made than others, and some is so raw it makes me question whether I'd dive in those conditions. Just goes to show you how tough Cuban spearos are. I'll add to this thread as I come across more examples of the home made gear.

Here's a typical home made pneumatic speargun from Cuba, although many times they can also be seen with a plastic handle of very old Mares production with all the other parts being home made or criollo as they say in Cuba. It's nostalgic for me to see this gun. Of course it's far from ideal as spearguns go. It's 80cm long with the shaft being 92cm and looks like less than 7mm in diameter. I don't know what it's made of, I don't think it's aluminum because it's fairly heavy, 4.5lb as opposed to my Cyrano 70cm which is 2.5lb. Looks maybe like galvanized steel. The handle looks like it was poured in a mold, it's very thick and looks to be the same material as the barrel. The muzzle looks like brass and probably so is the inner barrel. The shaft is obviously rusted so it's not stainless.

I was asked by a friend if this is the gun length all spearfishers use in Cuba. The answer is they try to get the best possible and if this is all that's available then they'll use it and very efficiently. What they lack in fine gear they make up in determination, endurance and diving ability. Usually cuban divers will try to have the longest pneumatic that they can load comfortably. I've never seen a band gun used by a Cuban in Cuba. When asked why they answer that there are no parts for a band gun. By this I take it to mean that there are is no rubber tubing to make bands out of. Other than that Cubans are strongly conditioned to use pneumatics and continue using them when they come to the US even if other options are available to them.

Here are pics of the gun. Thanks to Sergio for bringing it. Click on the pics to see them in full resolution.

• I think the handle is made of aluminum , the hole in the back of it is to make it less heavy. the guy who gave it to me had two of them , this one he actually didn't use it much because it's to short.

• Monster, as strange as it seems yes they find it easier. Between La Habana and Guanabo (about 1/2 hour drive along the north coast of Cuba) there were two escopeteros that I knew of. I went with a spearfishing friend to see it one time. He's got a shed in the open air with some basic tools. Drill press, lathe, and boxes and boxes of washers and screws, all pretty shabby. But the spearfishers respect and depend on the guy. It's taken like an actual occupation although the guy may very well be some machinist for the state who does that for additional income. I believe that because industry is much more developed than leisure in Cuba they can steal or salvage all metal parts from factories and stuff rather than buy "parts" for spearguns. It is sad but it also reminds me of my best days spearfishing.

• Wow, Great thread. I don´t find the words to express the feelings i have reading it. This is some serious information treasure -Both iconic and conceptual- contained within its few posts .

This is the greatest spearfishing forum ever. Real World information + No B.S. and sincerity.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• very poor made my friend and i we made one with teflon handle and he made the shaft and the other parts in a machine , we buy the spear made out of a bolga trunk hinge , bolga is a car from ussr.

que viva la pesca :cuba:

Que viva la pesca :cuba:

• ahhhh mi hermano!!!!!!!! unreal!!! you've taken me almost 2 decades back with this pics!!!!! so, here's what i remember........
    The rubber bands were not favored because there were no bands to be found!! used to make them with the rubber seal off some soviet food can that were about 20 to 30 gallons, after our "good" friends went down so did the rubber bands :laughing3:. also to make the handle you would take (if you could get it) a block of teflon, used to cut meat at the carniceria (meat market), to a guy in Havana Vieja, he would machine a nice handle for your gun and keep the rest of the material, so your handle was free:D, when you got your handle back, you will then make the rest of the gun out off the frame of a catre, hahahahahahaha, sorry guys, that word is cuban, but it's one of those collapsible beds you use when camping.:crazy:. Rubber bands would be secured to nozzle using cotton string and so would the piece of wire that would hook the shaft. The nozzle itself was a piece off iron or aluminum machined and drilled to run the bands thru it and also the main body of the gun. Very low tech, very prone to breaks:crazy: but a great gun nonetheless given the time and place!! the shaft was made out off ALAMBRON (iron wire about 5 mm to 6 mm used to build houses and roofs, you can only imagine how hard was to get the damn thing straight!!!!!!!! Great times and if you had one, everyone wanted to go fishing with you!!!!hahahahaha.
    About the pneumatics i have very little memories as they were cost prohibited for me, never really look much into then. I saw them, exactly as they look on the pics, but since my rubber band was doing the job, i never really care much for them.
    Well...a little bit of history...
    P.S. DAN, yo soy de guanabo,hahahhahahahaahaaha, that's my town!!

• Well, as far as I know good spearos in Cuba must dive very deep to find good fish. Most of the areas where you don't need a boat seem to be overfished.

I have never been there though.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.