Ancient spearfishing

• From time to time I come across interesting examples of old spearfishing or spearing practices.

From Lee Valley Tools - How to Make a Traditional Folk Art Ice Spearfishing Decoy

Spearfishing decoys have been used by native ice fishermen for thousands of years and were copied by our pioneer ancestors, primarily as a method of providing essential winter table food. Eventually, this method developed into large commercial fishing activities. After the turn of this century, spearfishing was banned in Canada, but is still legal in six of the United States. In most cases, a very small fish hut (or shanty) was used to protect the fishermen from the icy winter blasts on the lakes and rivers and to allow better viewing into the watery depths below.

USE: Secured by a short jigging stick and line, the weighted decoy was lowered to the desired depth through a hole cut in the ice. Gently raising and lowering the stick caused the decoy to circle and glide, which in turn attracted the fish. Because the decoy had no hooks, the alert fisherman used a long spear to seize the fish.

• I wonder what the % kill rate was.
    I try and poke lionfish with my spear and it's hard. They don't look fast but they move out of the way. And if you hit them, it doesn't always penetrate.
    Rubber bands were a major breakthrough in technology.

• It's because your hand and spear generate a pressure wave that the fish can sense, never mind that this way the spear moves very slowly. When the thrust is from above the water it's a different story. I think all ancient spearfishing was done from above the water surface. I would love to see a very old example of underwater spearfishing, but I don't think it exists. This is why the Spanish term "pesca submarina" is more appropriate than spearfishing. Being under the water makes all the difference. And yes without vulcanization our modern spearfishing would not be possible. Sometimes that weighs on me :)

• I always wondered how effective a hand spear would be. Here in good ole México, traditionally spears are called "fisgas" and are made from heavy Iron or steel and a wicked point. Spearfisherman are able to land even giant mantas and sharks by those traditional fisheries means. Very interesting.

A chuzo (choo -so) is a pointed shaft with a rubber useful for the same purposes. Very similar to a spear pole, but the rubber attached is single and not double, I mean no loop just a string of rubber. Works like a charm in expert hands. Is great for lobsters and crabs.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• It's possible underwater too. Just with certain kinds of fish and a low success rate. I've read that when using a hand spear underwater it's best to thrust it when the fish is facing you. The fish will turn and because the thrust is slow it's more likely to catch the fish broadside as it turns.

• This style (through the ice) spearing is still quite popular here-in fact there are many more guys spearing through the ice in winter than are diving in summer. AKA- "Norwegian T.V."

"Whiskey don't make liars, it just makes fools. So, I didn't mean to say it, but I meant what I said."
    -James McMurtry

• Awesome thread. I often see those decoys for sale on eBay and I imagine what it would be like to fish that way. Better than hook and line as far as activity

i like to spear fish

• It's because your hand and spear generate a pressure wave that the fish can sense, never mind that this way the spear moves very slowly. When the thrust is from above the water it's a different story. I think all ancient spearfishing was done from above the water surface. I would love to see a very old example of underwater spearfishing, but I don't think it exists. This is why the Spanish term "pesca submarina" is more appropriate than spearfishing. Being under the water makes all the difference. And yes without vulcanization our modern spearfishing would not be possible. Sometimes that weighs on me :)

Dan these spears are often very heavy, (20# or so) and the weight of the spear alone is enough to drive through the fish. Think drop, not stab.

"Whiskey don't make liars, it just makes fools. So, I didn't mean to say it, but I meant what I said."
    -James McMurtry