Teen drowns while spearfishing in the keys

• Monroe County Sheriff's Office - Florida Keys
    19 year old dies while spear fishing
    A 19 year old from Miami died Sunday just before noon while free diving and spear fishing offshore of the Middle Keys.
    More details will be released later today, but initial reports indicate he was with friends on a private vessel when the incident took place near the lighthouse at Tennessee Reef. His friends called the Sheriff’s Office when he did not surface.
    Coast Guard and Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission responded, along with members of the Sheriff’s Office dive team. The body was recovered and turned over to the Medical Examiner’s Office.

More information about offshore death
    19 year old Erick Diaz of N.W. 177th Terrace in Miami died offshore of Layton, near Tennessee Reef on Sunday just before noon. He was reportedly spear fishing using a mask and snorkel with his cousin. His cousin told detectives Diaz had a line attached to his spear, and the line was also tied around his waist. While trying to shoot a fish, he reportedly shot the spear into some rocks and it got stuck.
    The cousin said he tried to pull the spear from the rocks, but couldn’t get it loose so he swam to the surface in an attempt to get help. He was unable to help Diaz, however, who died underwater.
    The two were on board a private fishing vessel with a friend. The vessel, an 18 foot Boston Whaler, belonged to Diaz’ father.
    Diaz body was recovered from the water by members of the Sheriff’s Office dive team and was turned over to the Monroe County Medical Examiner.

This happened in June but I found out about it recently. The key mistakes made here are attaching the gun to yourself, and not carrying a dive knife.

When this POS came out years ago I spoke against it http://spearfishing.world/safe…speargun-wrist-strap.html. Don't get me wrong it was not the cause of this accident, but it's the same idea. While at first glance the Velcro closure of the wrist strap may appear safe, if you're diving deep and at the end of a breath hold, the time and effort it takes to realize you're pinned to the bottom and undo it, may cost your life. I wanted to link to Mako's product page but it looks like they've since removed it. Leave it to this company which doesn't have a clue about freediving to offer dangerous gear, then retract it.