Pitch pine speargun build

• looked at a riffe euro last week taught it was too expensive here in Trinidad and decided to build a speargun , which will be the first speargun i ever own . i am only going off the info i got from this forum and from speaking to local dive shops . just ordered some parts from Neptonics , but in the mean while i am practicing on a 2x4 of pitch pine . going to try and upload some pics .

Be safe ... Happy hunting .

• just as a side note even tough that pic doesn't look like much due to the fact that i don't have all of the necessary tools , that took about 2 hours of hard core sanding .

• just showing the starter gear i bought , medium length fins [ good price plus better suited to my needs ] simple comfortable j type snorkel and high visibility mask . they are all SCUBA MAX brand . The reason i bought medium length fins were because the depth i would be swimming in is around 12-20 feet [ now starting] and the mask is not a low volume mask because of shallow depth and i prefer the larger viewing angle it provides for safety reasons , taking into mind i am inexperienced .

• I uploaded the pic of my gear to show guest that you don't have to spend $1000 US to get started in spearfishing. you can buy relatively cheap gear when now starting , besides you're not going to dive 100 feet [safely] your first time out . therefore high end items like carbon fins may not be necessary at this stage . The mask , snorkel and fins all came up to $800 TT dollars = $123 US , plus i bought these things in a full on dive shop , they are cheaper online .

• This is a cutting from the total 10ft length , it is just over 4ft x 2x4 . pure solid purple heart . i am not going to laminate it because it is going to be relatively short for reef may be mid handle plus it is my first gun besides the pine tester . is the laminating completely necessary .[ATTACH][ATTACH]6721[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

• the wood is already kiln dried , i don't want to have to laminate because this is my first gun , i don't actually have a speargun and i don't want to have to wait 2 months before i can get in the water . is the laminating just preferred or will the gun not function without laminating due to warping

• I uploaded the pic of my gear to show guest that you don't have to spend $1000 US to get started in spearfishing. you can buy relatively cheap gear when now starting , besides you're not going to dive 100 feet [safely] your first time out . therefore high end items like carbon fins may not be necessary at this stage . The mask , snorkel and fins all came up to $800 TT dollars = $123 US , plus i bought these things in a full on dive shop , they are cheaper online .

Yep, you don't HAVE to buy a lot of expensive gear. But, I bet you will. :laughing:

It's an addictive sport and as you progress and want to improve, you'll probably buy those expensive fins, low volume mask, longer gun, and of course, a camo wetsuit. hah

Good luck on the gun. My friends here build them. They say the trick is getting each piece of wood to balance under water. I just buy mine. I'm not much of a craftsman.

• your probably right , i will hit a wall with the gear that i bought . although just as a side note camo is illegal in Trinidad and Tobago , specifically military style like the kind the US Army used in the 90s and present but the customs officer is the one to decide if your particular pattern is illegal . so if coming to Trinidad and Tobago i would go with something like a black wet suit . caution is needed even with the camo style cargo shorts you guys wear. it can be confiscated .

• The same applies here in Belize. But they let me pass with my camo wetsuits and guns. No problem. I guess they figure I'm not going to be running around in the bush with an automatic weapon in a wetsuit. :D

• The same applies here in Belize. But they let me pass with my camo wetsuits and guns. No problem. I guess they figure I'm not going to be running around in the bush with an automatic weapon in a wetsuit. :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you would be sooo hot. You'd last about 3-4 hours tips!!

i like to spear fish

• You could always try a red camo pattern. At the surface its red and I doubt customs would care (They might laugh though) but once you dive down about 20-30ft the red disappears and you blend in underwater just as well as any other wetsuit.

As for the the laminate it helps prevent warping and can increase the stiffness of the gun. For guns on the short end its not necessary. Dan will attest to that. Even some of the manufacturers are starting to realize. Its also less important when using strait grained woods like purple heart. Its often used with Teak to add stiffness as teak can be relatively soft.

If your looking for some information on gun building you can check out this thread :

http://spearfishing.world/spea…3-gun-building-101-a.html

• Leave your blank bulky, purple heart is dense and the weight of the trigger mech and handle frame may sink the gun with the shaft out if it is too skinny.

Good luck on the build.

MN

• since i found out i cann't import it today , i decided to make it . because i am also making my own shafts as well ,[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]6726[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH] i made the mock up to take only the 5/16 round stock , so i only have to make the retaining notch on the rear of the shaft not a full american style notch system . this is only the mock up made from 3/16 mild steel flat stock . i basically copied Neptonic's tuna mech [ my version ] . i can't cast the real one from cobalt alloy because my tools can't melt that much metal so i will source local stainless plate from a supplier . feel free to post constructive criticism as well as any mods.