Pitch pine speargun build

• tufual contact Rick Dive World 634-3483 for possible trigger.

• these are the parts i carved out of stainless steel flat stock . it was cut from 5/16 x 2'' flat stock .the housing shown is just for mock up , the real one will be made from 3mm flat stainless ,but the trigger internals are the ones that will be used ,[ATTACH][ATTACH]6743[/ATTACH][/ATTACH] although i have not made the safety and line release yet . any suggestions are welcomed .

• that is also a sample of the 8mm [ 5/16 ] tool steel rod that i will be using to make the spear shafts . not stainless but stiffer than stainless and cheap enough to replace if bent . the supplier also said that i could have it heat treated to make it spring steel .

Be safe ... Happy hunting .

• i placed it in an 2 1/2 ton engine hoist to test it and it broke a 1x4 pitch pine board with no problem . from my use of the hoist it felt like around 450lbs of force [ my best guess ]

• Its Pretty clear everyone is supportive of your efforts, but trigger mechs are a very important part of the gun, and making them by hand like this is not only dangerous, but very risky. It's like a ticking time bomb and you don't want to be nearby when it goes off. Im not saying that people havnt made their own parts like this but lets be honest If you need someone to mail you a trigger mech I'll be happy to do so.
    I know I'm a newb to this board, but I'm not to spearing. I just want to make sure that you or your unsuspecting dive buddy doesnt get shot. The last thing anyone wants to see if you in the hospital or with a shaft stuck out of your ass like this poor guy. Either way, I applaud your efforts and hope it works out well for you:thumbsup2:

• Tony. I was kind of thinking the same thing and not saying anything. I feel like triggers are a fun project but the consequence is so real that I just feel better knowing some r&d and fatigue and destruction testing was done. Knowing the speardiver mech will hold 7 bands gives me the confidence for using three.

I am enjoying the amazing machining skills on display here, but I do agree that the actual use of a homemade trigger is quite a hairy prospect.

Nothing but best wishes and good luck on the project. I hope I do not come off discouraging, just cautiously warning

i like to spear fish

• Depends on the individual diving style. If normal precautions are taken the gun will not be dangerous to the one who carries it, as it will always shoot away from the diver. It's much more likely to be dangerous to other divers. So if you dive alone it's not so bad, but if you dive with others often, then you have a responsibility to use only a safe tested trigger. tufual said he tested the trigger. The thing to do is inspect the trigger and sear from time to time for signs of wear.

• i understand your worry and share in it and i will make sure to test it with hydraulics before use . last night i places 1.25 tons of rotational force on the trigger and sear with no slipping or damage .

• i agree with Dan , but personally i think it is important to view all spearguns and trigger mechs as 'unsafe' , regardless of brand or how many hours of R&D went into it , muzzle control is king in terms of safety .

• i agree with Dan , but personally i think it is important to view all spearguns and trigger mechs as 'unsafe' , regardless of brand or how many hours of R&D went into it , muzzle control is king in terms of safety .

True words my friend!!! Muzzle control is the only safety

As I said before, I am blown away by your skills, my concern is just for your safety but it sounds like you are all over it.

i like to spear fish

• Dan i wish that were the case, but there are more elements involved. You could be lightly holding the gun in your hand, if it misfire and have it come back and hit your in the face the chest or anywhere else. Muzzle safety is a big part of not shooting someone, but it doesn't guarantee that no one will get hurt. Including yourself. I had a mako misfire and have it come back and almost break rib. Just a word of caution. No one wants to come on here and a post about you missing a few teeth or anything like that.

• the gun recoil is what im referring to, if you arent holding it tightly it can slip out of your grip and hit whatever is behind the gun

I just hopped in the water and had one 18mm band on the gun. As i turned to look at my ski i grabbed the gun on the bottom of the barrel and BAM misfire. My head wasnt even in the water. It was due to an well used trigger mech. I have replaced it with a new one but havnt used the gun since. I am converting it to a roller gun over the next few weeks tho so hopefully it will get some water time.

The wind has been blowing like a bitch lately.