diy spear shafts

• This is connected to my pitch pine thread . Shafts in Trinidad cost around $100 US a piece plus i would be fishing in shallow rocky areas , i therefore am afraid to use $100 dollar shafts so i will be making my own . I know this is a odd question but does anyone have the dimensions of the notch used on an 5/16 American style shaft to use with a Neptonic Tuna Mech . I can't source any locally to measure . I need the design and dimensions in order to cut the notch in the 5/16 spring steel round bar that i am buying . By the way buying spring steel from a machine shop supplier is 10 times cheaper . I don't want to be in the water and afraid to shoot a fish because i am worried about bending a shaft . thanks .

Be safe ... Happy hunting .

• You sure you can get sring steel?

Once I adapted an american notch shaft to an euro mecanism with a hand file and a dremmel by trial and mistake. At the end it engaged well.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• yeah its a machine shop supplier they have all kinds of steel including stainless , besides the riffe shaft is $100 US and the local machine steel is $1.50 per foot at 5/16 . even if it bends it is cheap to replace . plus i am using a Neptonic Tuna Mech not Riffe .

Be safe ... Happy hunting .

• PM Bequia Blues, his crew used to fab their own shafts in TNT... Marco they have top notch steel cheaply available due to all the offshore gas mining down there

yeah its a machine shop supplier they have all kinds of steel including stainless , besides the riffe shaft is $100 US and the local machine steel is $1.50 per foot at 5/16 . even if it bends it is cheap to replace . plus i am using a Neptonic Tuna Mech not Riffe .

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• PM Bequia Blues, his crew used to fab their own shafts in TNT... Marco they have top notch steel cheaply available due to all the offshore gas mining down there

Hahaa Bequia Blues is down in TNT right now too, you guys should link up. He could probably use some spare shafts for his Euro anyways.

Edited once, last by Guest ().