Puerto Beach, Ilocos Sur Philippines

• Greeting from the Philippines
    I am a retired school district Administrator who is married to a lovely Filipino and resides 6 months out of the year in our home in northern Luzon right on the China Sea. I live in Wisconsin State side and come here for the winters with my wife and two children

The first thing I do every morning is go to the front glass sliding doors of our home over looking the China Sea and see if the ocean is calling me. I go fishing almost every day I begin at about 6:45 AM and return just before noon. I go on days. The local fishermen take a pass. I enter the sea via the shore right dead in front of our home. The reef here has been fished out over the years and dynamite has taken its toll also. Still there is a fish sanctuary that is being respected now and things are on the mend. So hope is alive and well.

I have been a scuba diver for over twenty years but there is no where to fill tank within a four hours drive so I began to just snorkel and enjoy the reef. My brother-in-laws fish to feed their families. I began by following them out for fun. The next year I bought a pole spear and learned on my own how to catch small fish. Every thing I catch is consumed within 24 hours by relatives.

The following year I purchased a Riffe Competitor 39” inch gun (100 cm) and moved up the food chain. Still due to the scarcity of fish and the skittish nature of those that still inhabited the reef I needed to reach out further to catch the few decent size fish available. So I had Daryl Wong make me a 55” GR hybrid and developed my skill and technique to the point that the locals had to admit I was a fisherman.

I am completely self taught and learned by doing. The biggest fish I caught here so far was in front of my house out about a 100 yards past the edge of the reef. A Spanish Mackerel about a meter long and over 8 kilos. Mostly I catch smaller tropical fish under 5 kilos. I did catch a milk fish recently over 30 inches long and have begun to venture out into the blue a little more often.

I fish in the morning and then again in the afternoon 3:00 PM till the sunsets. I love the peace and tranquility while hunting in the water. You have time to reflect, get great exercise, and possibly feed people. When I come out of the ocean my sister-in-laws come to greet me holding a plate to put my catch on. If I don’t get anything I am afraid to come home.

Generally we have the beach front to ourselves. few swimmers or visitor frequent the beach. I was surprised to see how many of my relatives don’t know how to swim.

The hunting is a challenge. I can fish for 4 hours and if I see three good fish worth taking a shot out that is a good day. I am not always in a position to get a good shot however. I am 6’ 5” tall and weight over 280 pounds so needless to say I don’t go down 40 meter and stay 2+ minutes. Most of my diving is in less than 10 meters and I can only stay down about a minute +. However it works and I am living the dream. I make my own bands and repair equipment creatively because materials have to be imported and that takes time. I used lead washers strung together in a mesh net like fashion to put in my seasoft backpack.

I use tricycles for transportation and just got internet access this past year at my house. USB for portable☺ I shall end by saying I follow this forum and others and can’t say enough about what a great source of information and help it has been. I look forward to contributing in what ever limited capacity I am capable of doing and hope to have a great association with this group.

When I am not sleeping, I'm Spearfishing.
    My Aeris 10 only records 99 dives.
    I use them all every day the China Sea will admit me.

• Welcome! I spent a bit of time working on an ROV boat out of Batangas, but unfortunately didn't get to do a lot of sightseeing or diving. What I did see was beautiful and the highlight for me was flying in a small plane out of El Nido back to Manila for a crew change.
    I did see some great fish come over the gunnels of our boat when the chef put a cheeky handline over alongside a rig. Some big Seriolas, I would guess 20kg plus all caught on kitchen scraps.
    I'm stoked for you that you are getting out every day and living the good life in the Philipines :D