WTB used pole spear

• pargo----Looks like I screwed up. What I am wanting is a 6ft or longer pole spear made of fiberglass or aluminum with a 3 prong paralyzer tip.

LunkerBuster---
    1. Does your backup pole spear have a paralyzer tip please?
    2. How long is your backup pole spear?
    3. Is the pole alum or fiberglass please?
    4. Thank you for your generous offer:thumbsup2:

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• Stay away from solid aluminum pole spears. They are heavy and consequently too slow. The heavy ones are good for BIG fish where you need lots of penetrating power. Paralyzer tip is only good for small fish. I recommend a slip tip which can be used for small fish and all the way up to 10lb fish.

• pargo---thanks for the guidance. I haven't SEEN a game fish over 10lbs here so the paralyzer would probably be best for me.
    The slip tip on a pole spear is interesting. Maybe I can get Rob Allan to make a Slip Tube for a pole spear:D
    Guess everyone knows that I love my RA Slip Tube:thumbsup2:
    Is a 6ft fiberglass pole spear lighter/faster and a good choice for our shallow reefs?
    Thanks for the input everyone.

• Not sure about which length is best. Fiberglass is lighter/faster than solid aluminum. Hollow aluminum like a JBL I used to have is lighter/faster than fiberglass. If you're going after fish under 10lb I would definitely go with hollow aluminum.

Carbon is another interesting option but it's much more expensive. Seastinger http://www.seastinger.com/pole-spear.html makes them. That's what I would go for. The whole idea of a pole spear is that it's supposed to be dirt cheap. But if I had the cash and want to hunt seriously in a place where a trigger was not allowed, like the Bahamas, I would get that carbon spear.

Other than that I would go to home depot and buy a wood dowel and insert it into a PVC pipe, figure out a way to secure a tip to it and that's it. It should be lighter than fiberglass which is still relatively heavy/slow.

BTW for all around use I much prefer the sling (once I put shooting line on it) to the pole spear.

• hau-

my back up is a 5 ft fiberglass pole, it needs a new rubber at the moment. I have a para tip for it as well.

I use a 6ft spear and have often thought about using the 5 ft on the reefs where we dive because it would be easier to carry with me in addition to my gun.

I would be happy to lend you either for your trial time, but I would only give away the 5 ft one.

I'll bring them both the next time we dive so you can decide what you want to do then :)

the two tips I have a re different in that one is spring steel and quite rusted, but strong as all hell and the other is ss and not at all rusted, but the tines can be bent and might not do too well against repeated rock slams.

I will be happy to give you the ss one along with the spear- the way i see it, it is impossible to have too much good karma among dive buddies :)

i like to spear fish