Yak cart, which one?

• I just got a scupper pro, now i need a yak cart to make it easier to get to & from the beach. I saw this one on ebay cart I know it is cheep in price which makes me leary of it being just a cheep product all together and it will break soon. anyone have any experiance with this cart?

If anyone has any suggestions on which cart or even have a spare cart hangin in the closet pls post it.

Steve

• I think hau is the man to answer this question. His yak cart to a regular cart is like what a monster truck is to regular trucks :D

Stevo, I had the one in the ebay ad. I couldn't figure out what to hell to do with it. Check out this thread http://spearfishing.world/boat…aks-and-spearfishing.html It's the other one that worked well enough. I've considered the one that fits into the scupper holes but heard something negative about it, can't remember what it was, it seems like a good idea though.

• Stevo---We all use the 3lb. folding grapnel anchor for $16 at West Marine, with 1 1/2foot of stainless chain from Home Depot with at least 100ft of 200-300lb test POLY anchor line all on a nice neat line wrap.[I have a spare anchor line wrap I can give you].
    1. The 3lb anchor you can hold in your left hand and swim with while searching for fish and open the grapnel flukes for super emergency holding power. 2. The stainless steal chain makes the 3lb anchor heavy enough, just like on real boat anchor setups and prevents the anchor line from getting cut on the reef bottom. 3. The poly anchor line floats so that when you are swimming holding the anchor the line does not sink down to the reef and get snagged.
    I cannot help you with a yak cart as my Hobie takes a Hobie only type of cart that actually plugs in to the bottom of my Hobie. When you see mine you will understand. I do not have any experiance with other carts.
    Sorry.
    I would suggest a cart without blow up tires.

Hope all this is helpful. Please let me know anytime if I can help.
    ______

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• I thought for sure hau would have the definitive word. OK about the one I recommended.. It does have inflatable tires, on paved road it moves very easily with the yak on top, through sand it's a chore. At least the wheels turn. I believe if the wheels were thin they wouldn't turn at all in the sand and you'd just be dragging the yak. Stability wise it was pretty good. Once you fasten the top strap it would stay in position. It wasn't collapsible at all which means another trip back to the car to put it away rather than stow it on the yak.

• my .02

i avoid the scupper hole models because that is where the seam of you yak is and thus it is likely the thinnest part of the plastic, further the seam is inherently the weakest part and I don't put anything hard into my scupper holes.

as for the smaller carts...I have an ebay yak donkey and it sucks..worthless. it is ok for paved sufaces, but that account for about .0002% of the area I am carrying my yak around and therefore it is worthless.

I would ask yaudon as he is the yak guru, and I am pretty sure the advice he'll give is that you get one with the baloon tires. it is more expensive, but you can move sooo easily across sand that it is all worth it in the end.

I also put in a recommendation for just lugging it and then dragging it through the sand. It sucks, but it is do-able and the price is right

look forward to seeing you out yak spearing with us

i like to spear fish

• for clarification, the cart is got on ebay is way crappier than the one you posted in your first post..that one should do fine, but it is more of a chore to strap the yak down onto and then keep there, and it has to be taken back to the car cos it will take up all the room on your kayak

i like to spear fish

• Or you can always man up a bit and carry the dang thing upon your shoulders :manup: :poke:

In everyones best interest i should get a cart. I would hate to think one of you had to give me mouth to mouth cuz i dropped of a heart attack do to no cart.:angry5:

Youden what should I do?
    Steve

• If you're diving with other guys anyways I'd just ask for help. Between two people it's not that hard to carry a yak. So if there's two guys with a yak each it's perfect. Only two trips back and forth to get the yaks to the water. No need to go back to the car to put away the cart. I realize that larger distances may be involved but diving out of Dania the parking lot is pretty close to the water.

• This is my cart. I have 2. One is the standard one like in the picture.

My other Hobie I custom made by replacing the axle with a much longer axle and adding 6 wheels [8 total].:D
    The 8 wheel will go anywhere but the standard is now my favorite. I take my yak off the truck, put the yak on the cart, load the yak with ALL my gear, lock the truck and pull the yak to the sand, Lift the yak off the cart and slid the yak down to the sea. The original Hobie cart is very light and takes little space in the well behind my seat. If I needed more compactness the cart wheels easily come off the cart just by pulling 2 cotter pins. You can see my cart in my yak well in some of my fish pictures.
    I did not post this extensive writing as Stevo bought a Scupper Pro, not a Hobie. I do not know if there is a scupper hole cart that fits the Scupper Pro.
    I would be uneasy without my cart on board as anything can happen and I might have to make land fall a long ways from my launch site and need the cart to get back to the truck.
    As TurboRon can attest to, carrying just the back end of MY yak is not an option when it is loaded.:0

Spearfishing Store

Edited 2 times, last by hau ().

• Not in México my friend. It´s easier to get the idea to a wielding shop and borrow the equipment a bit. I was thinking in some ole toys as a tricycle, and some beach chair tubing. I have a Cobra fish n Dive and the yak is huge and heavy, luckily i have 20 inch biceps :D

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• monster slayer---I got the carts cheap from my LYS [local yak store] in Key Largo.:D

pargo---:thumbsup2:Thanks to your picture tutorial I actually posted my first picture [yak cart] all by myself:thumbsup2:

• pargo----Thank you for taking the time to teach me some computer skills:)

The day TurboRon and I were at Dania beach, TurboRon offered to carry the back end of my yak up the beach to the parking lot he almost shit himself. :D
    My yak is 75lbs empty and I have enough gear and equipment on board to make it to the Bahamas if I change my mind about coming back.:D
    So fully loaded my yak is probably 150lb+
    A true sailor has at least 2 of everything and I used to live on a 44f sailboat and used to sail it singlehanded back in the day.:)
    As a matter of fact, I was living on my 26f sail dingy when I first met seaweed here in Hollywood

Spearfishing Store

Edited 5 times, last by hau ().

• My yak is 75lbs empty and I have enough gear and equipment on board to make it to the Bahamas if I change my mind about coming back.:D

All that and still no fish pics :poke::D

I guess we need to work on picture taking skills next. If there's anything I can do to help let me know :)