Spearfishing World forum fish records

• Dan when are you going to update the fish record list?

Oh and I went up to NorCal this weekend and I grabbed a new PB abalone at 9.25 inches

Found it somewhere out here on Saturday

• very nice black..and Daniel, those pics are awesome..beautiful shell, adventure quality dive grounds and is that a red tailed hawk ? seriously nice nature sampling

nevermind about the "hawk" looks like a TV actually, still great shot

i like to spear fish

• Here are the updated forum fish records. If you submitted something please check that it's here, and is the correct species and weight, if not send me a pm. The pics have been uploaded to the photo gallery fish records section, check to see that yours is there too, you can edit the details of the pic if you want to add information about your capture. Also let me know if I made any mistakes with the fish names.

Abalone - spearstuff 9.25"
    African Pompano -
    Roberto Reyes & Gamble 36lb
    Amberjack - red tide 97lb
    Barracuda Great - Emil 51lb

Black Spot Tusk Fish - cww 10lb
    Calico bass -
    Ryddragyn 5.8lb
    Carp -
    Ryddragyn 23.5lb
    Chub (Australia) - red tide 27lb
    Cobia - Rolo 50lb
    Cuttlefish - cww 14lb
    Dolphin - griswold 54lb
    Flounder Summer -
    Greekdiver 11lb 11oz
    Giant Trevally - Nunodias 72lb
    Golden travally - Slingador
    25lb
    Grouper Black - cmfish 52lb gutted
    Grouper Nassau - Jareyberrysplash 25lb
    Grouper Yellowfin - Roberto Reyes 31lb
    Grouper Garropa - Monster Slayer 40lb
    Halibut - spearstuff 26lb
    Hogfish - red tide 19.6lb
    Jack Black - Roberto Reyes 23.3lb
    Jack Cravalle - John Hanson 31lb
    Kingfish - Nunodias 73lb
    Lion Fish - Roberto Reyes 3/4lb
    Lobster Spiny - Gerald 14lb 9oz
    Lobster Spiny California -
    spearstuff 8lb
    Mackerel Cero - Roberto Reyes 15lb
    Mackerel Shark - red tide 26lb
    Mackerel Spotted - red tide 14lb
    Margate Black - khalel
    10lb
    Marlin Black - Roberto Reyes 296lb
    Marlin Striped - Red Tide 99.78lb
    Ocean Whitefish -
    spearstuff 15oz
    Opaleye -
    spearstuff 4.5lb
    Pacific Tiger - Roberto Reyes 4lb
    Parrot Fish - Roberto Reyes 21.5lb
    Permit -
    Gamble 28lb
    Rock Hind - Pantoja 2.5lb
    Sailfish -
    Roberto Reyes 109lb
    Sand Bass - Ryddragyn 6.5lb
    Sargo -
    spearstuff 3.3lb
    Sculpin -
    spearstuff 1.5lb 13.5"
    Sheephead California -
    wobbegong 31lb
    Snapper Cubera - red tide 96lb
    Snapper Cubera
    (Pacific) - Don Paul 60lb
    Snapper Dog - Roberto Reyes 19.14lb
    Snapper Mutton - greekdiver 19lb
    Snapper Mangrove - Gamble 15.6lb
    Snapper red - griswold 22lb
    Snapper red (Pacific) - Roberto Reyes 24lb
    Snapper Schoolmaster - Roberto Reyes 6lb
    Snapper Yellowtail - Roberto Reyes 6lb
    Snook - Roberto Reyes 28lb
    Tautog -
    Greekdiver 15.5lb
    Triggerfish Ocean - Roberto Reyes 16lb
    Tuna Blackfin - red tide 26.5lb
    Tuna Yellowfin - Roberto Reyes 276lb
    Yellow Jack - Pantoja 19lb
    Yellowtail - Don Paul 48.5lb
    Wahoo - Roberto Reyes
    89l
    White Sea Bass -
    spearstuff 57lb

• Thanks Dan for updating the list :thumbsup2:

Oh and guess you East Coast guys might get confused about that. But we only have one type of sand bass out here. So a barred sand bass is the same thing as a sand bass.

• lb,
    you have to come up with a species that is not in the record list yet. what about bar-jack, or mahogany snapper ? your record might not last very long, but it would be a start to know how it feels to be a record holder. btw, do you have mahogany snappers up in florida ?

• It's kind of the same here. Permit are not protected but I don't shoot them at one of our favorite spots, where we see them every time we go there, because the fly fishing tourist/purists come here just for those. We see the guys out there on charter boats with the permit swimming all around us. But I've yet to see one of the hook one while we were there. Maybe that's why they love it. The challenge of getting them to bite?
    Last Saturday I had a school of about 100 nice size ones follow me up from a dive right near the reef wall. They hung around with me near the surface for about 20 minutes.
    And parrot fish here are really overfished. The old guys tell me of the 6-8 lb ones that were common in the "old days".
    I don't have a problem not shooting a few species. Also we generally let the Nassau groupers go too.

• Went looking for some lobster holes today and found a big sculpin sitting at the bottom of a large rocky hole. I didn't bring my speargun with me, but I had my knife handy so I thought why not? Pulled out my new Riffe knife I won at a raffle and slowly crept over for the kill. Every time I got close enough he'd get up and swim 4ft away and then sit back down on the rocks. He moved around 3 or 4 times before I felt I was ready to use the knife. Swung strait at it's head, he bolted, and I hit him mid body. He wasn't going anywhere.

After braining the fish I tried ripping out the gills, which unfortunately led me to getting pin pricked by one of it's spines. Poison went in and I felt the pain slowly grow. Glad it was only one finger that got hit, because it did hurt some. Went straight home after that to get hot water on my finger. Fun day. Got my first fish with a knife and my first time getting poisoned by a fish :)

13.5 inches (~1.5lbs)

Haven't posted this here yet, so here's my 26 lb California halibut

• rock hind is delicious and I have shot em bigger than that...I know Iwill get on this list yet :)

i think the bonita meat looks strangely appitizing...dunna, it's tuna aint it :D

i like to spear fish

• Here's a 19 inch finescale triggerfish I shot locally back in July 2009.

And here's a 22 inch striper shot in Lake Mead back in April of this year.