80 cm euro (advice needed)

• Hey all,
    Working on building my second gun. This one will end up being an 80 cm gun with a Salvimar voodoo euro handle attached. Blank is a 3 laminate mahogany. I still have some rounding to do around the band slot and final sanding to taper the blank to the handle, bu as you can see near the handle the wood is thin and has cracked slightly. I will fill the joint between the handle and stock with epoxy and also purchased some carbon/kevlar fabric. I would like to do at least a partial wrap near the handle to reinforce the joint with the carbon/kevlar. Anybody have any advice on how to make a nice transition from the fabric to the wood? This blank was originally 48" but developed a significant bow after I cut the track and shaped it. So I cut the blank down to the current dimensions to salvage the gun and I needed a dirty water/hole gun anyways. I have enough fabric to wrap the entire gun but am hesitant to do so since I have little to no experience in wrapping with carbon/kevlar.
    Thanks.

• Congratulations. interesting work, wood cracked hurt, hope fix it right.

If you can explain how you worked to inside handle blank

regards

Un Hombre tiene que creer en algo.......
    Creo que me iré de pesca!!!

• I clamped the blank vertically to my drill press, made sure it was level, then used a 1" hole saw to cut the mortise. I cut 1" deep then backed the whole saw out and removed the remaining wood with chisels and a 1" spade bit. Once clear I made another 1" deep cut with the hole saw and cleared the remaining wood. The final depth of the mortise is 2".

• Good luck, I'll be interested to see how that turns out. A friend of mine is building a gun with the same Beauchat handle. He used a deep hole saw 1 1/4" OD and then carefully cut transversely along the blank with a hack saw to create the tenon.

• I have a friend gunsmith / cabinetmaker I explain to do

I have teak wood for months ago

when I do I'll post

Un Hombre tiene que creer en algo.......
    Creo que me iré de pesca!!!

Edited 2 times, last by Josediaz ().

• Gunsmith and wood craftsman friend indicated as I should, I need, tools and some detail, and I have teak several months ago, I'll post it when I do.

Chamo! no se entiende un coño!:confused1: Escribe también en español, que las traducciones on-line la mayoría de las veces salen bien extrañas...

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• cant help with the wrapping question but i've been making guns in that style for years using both male and female handles.

for male versions like the demka, cressi, ect.. i use the same method i described in installing a carbon barrel into wood for hybrids http://spearfishing.world/spea…1298-how-make-hybrid.html. most male handles have a 1'' od so i use a 1'' ball mill and cut about 2'' into the wood, i then cap the .5'' shank cut with another piece of wood and glue the handle in place. i leave around .25'' of wood around the sides and bottom of the handle and dont use any screws. using this method assures the handle and the track line up because i center the fence of the router table to make both the track cut and to cut the pocket for the handle. after the glue dries i shape the end of the barrel so it blends in with the the handle assuring that i leave enough wood around it to avoid any problems, so far ive had no problems with cracks.

for female handles like the beauchat, rabitec, ect.. i simply use the router and cut a square peg into the barrel at the desired hight and depth and round it off using a chisel. again, this assures the handle is placed in the exact center of the barrel and the track lines up as long as its cut in the center.

for odd shape handles like the beauchat pictured above i would use the male method and shape it to match the handle by hand or would simply use the round version of the beauchat instead and again, leave enough material around the handle to assure wont break.

hope this helps.