I am fortunate to be moving to Hilo, Hawaii within the next few months to continue my education. I have been working on my master's here in Monterey but decided it was certainly not what I wanted to commit the rest of my life too, so I am starting over in a different field!
I am hoping there are some spearos on here who are experienced with the island conditions and atmosphere who can help me as I update my gear locker.
1. What size guns are most spearo's using out that way? I have a 44in midhandle that is really beefy and can handle 3 tight bands accurately, but think I may need a little larger weapon.
2. What is a good wetsuit thickness? I imagine that the temperatures don't change too much over the course of the year. 1.5mm? 2? 3?
3. What kind of float system do most divers use? I know a dive flag is required, so I assume you need a float, does a banksboard work or are inflatables more popular?
4. Are reels or floatlines recommended for the area. Here in Ca it is personal preference, but are there conditions in Hawaii that make one significantly more practical than the other?
5. Lastly, I will get to know the regs thoroughly before I get there, but are there any fish that should be avoided because of cultural significance to the Native Hawaiians (other than sharks)?
Thanks in advance for any advice, if I can get 1 or 2 of these questions answered it will be a big help!