Hawaii Trip Pics & Olympus E-PM1 review

• Hi Guys,

So I just got back from Maui. It was a none spearing trip with the wife, but I did get in the water quite a bit.

It was the first chance I had to really give my new camera and housing a go in clear water, and had a blast doing so. The honu (turtles) were out in force, and I got to play with a few dozen over the course of a week.

The camera rocks. Although not quite a DSLR, the 4/3 mirror less system has almost no shutter lag and shoots a decent 4.5 FPS continuous. The lenses are changeable, so its pretty versatile... I didn't use any strobes, so all pics are natural light.

Here is a link to some of the UW pics from the trip, I'm still sorting through them, so more to follow:

Untitled Web Page - Page 1

I attached a few teaser shots for those to lazy to link out ;)

Enjoy,

G

• Its a different category of camera. Its responds faster and has changeable lenses. Picture quality is slightly better due to the much larger sensor, although the lowest ISO is 200 as compared to 80 on the S100. It is much more versatile.

Here is a link to some topside pics: with the same camera:

Maui- above - Page 1

I'll be getting a dome port for the housing and an 8mm fish eye in the future.

• Thanks Dan,

It is a mirrorless system, allowing for a much smaller body as where a true DSLR would operate with a mirror to present the image in the viewfinder, and then drop that mirror when taking a picture, exposing the sensor...

There was a great deal on these with the housing included, and I was looking for something that responded faster without the bulk of my work camera(which also I also can't afford a housing for....) to take on trips.

• How can it be a SLR without a mirror?

A Mirrorless camera as Gerald is talking about isnt an SLR. Its a digital camera in SLR clothing.

The viewfinder isnt a mirror looking through the lens as it is with a DSLR or SLR. Its instead a small LCD screen relaying the image from the sensor in real time. This fake viewfinder combined with a larger form factor, interchangeable lenses, and the camera operating very much like a DSLR, and taking DSLR quality photos, make it pretty close with less size and sometimes more ease of use.

Beautiful pics Gerald. Looks like you got to do some nice diving despite no spearing. Shooting pics is almost as fun as shooting fish. Photos like these remind my how badly I want a housing for my DSLR.

• Thanks for the compliment and explanation to Dan. It can be a bit confusing, but you pretty much summed it up.