Speargun Reel Line Recommendations

• Hey guys, I'm looking to spool 2 reels with some new line and have noticed that the zing-it and fling-it (Jetset) throw lines are very cheap and have received great reviews. Does anyone here use either as reel line that would recommend one over the other? Any information on their durability? Here is a link to the lines I'm looking at.

I haven't seen either of them in person but it seems the Jetset has a higher breaking strength. I'm thinking of buying 2 x 180' spools of the 1.75mm stuff. Any information would be appreciated.

• George, that is an awesome price for dynaglide. Thank you for posting that link. I will most likely go with 2 spools of that instead of the zing it/ fling it unless someone gives me reason not to?

• Zing-it and Fing-it throw lines although made from HMPE (High Modulus PolyEthylene), which is the generic name for Dyneema and Spectra which are brand names, are far from ideal for spearfishing reel application. Even though they are strong durable lines. The reason for this is simple, they are completely limp to begin with, and get even softer when wet. They are soft because the construction is just a straight braid as opposed to a jacketed core. This results in excessive coiling and tangles, and makes handling and spooling the line difficult. Yes the arborist throw lines will work in a pinch, but if you had experience with good stiff purpose made reel line you'd never look at them again.
    IMO guys go the throw line route because they think they found the equivalent of good reel line in another industry, where the line is not overpriced. The truth is throw line is a poor performer in comparison to good reel line, which is priced higher because it's more expensive to manufacture.

Good purpose made reel line like the Speardiver Reel Line is constructed of HMPE (Dyneema/Spectra) core and jacket. The jacket has a very tight weave which gives the line its stiffness. You know the reel line is stiff when you can hold the line 10" from its end, straighten it and line will extend out straight and stiff like a twig. This line is way better to handle when dealing with a fish.

• I use that stuff all the time and it holds up very very well, I liked it so much I used it on my sailboat for none sailing tasks but nonetheless tough tasks and it has held up to daily charter demands and abuse for an entire season and now into off season. The green colour I had faded but the texture remained the same(slick) and shows no sign of friction or UV damage.
    My wreck gun has it on as well and I have had it wrapped around structor by 15 lb snappers fighting hard and it has never cut or failed. Just the colour fades and comes off in high friction areas like where I threaded it through my spear shaft on my euro pipe gun.
    I am going to splice two 200 ft lengths using this method but as I have not as yet I can't comment on it effectiveness.
    Blackwater International - The World's Finest Fishing Line - Tech Tips - Hollow Braid Splice Connection
    I have found the H&L fishing forums invaluable to learning stuff to apply to our brand of fishing.
    This stuff prices are not dropping anywhere on the net sadly but these guys have the 200 ft lengths on special while stocks last.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Dan, your line looks awesome and the price for the spool is very competitive... cant wait to see how it holds up when I get my new gun with the speardiver reel on it next month.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele