Sames' Freshwater Reports

• Here goes for my first thread, I am hoping to help add to the freshwater spearfishing subforum by posting about my spearing trips on this thread. I finally found some free time to hit the lake this past Friday for some morning spearfishing. Visibility was worse than I was expecting, in one area I was able to see about 10 feet clearly, yet in others my hand would start to fade out of visibility if I fully extended it. Despite the poor conditions, I was able to test out my new Speardiver Pacific wetsuit, which I have to say exceeded my expectations in terms of comfort and design. More on that later.

I was able find an area with "good" visibility that contained several massive boulders all on top of each other, which created excellent hiding spots for catfish, which was my primary target (bass are illegal to shoot in this particular lake). I tried to dive down on the shallow side of the rocks, slowly glide over the top with my speargun aimed, and then pull myself down into the crevices and ledges. For whatever reason, the catfish here are very skittish and won't hang around if you come upon them suddenly or move quickly. That being the case, I did manage to spot 4 catfish in this area, and was fortunate enough to put a shaft through 2 of them before they shot down into the deep channel of the lake.

Although not an amazing day, I was thankful to get a few nice catfish fillets for supper. For those of you who may not know, the one on top is a blue catfish, and the one one the bottom is a channel catfish. I hope to be able to contribute here frequently and with more successful results. Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Edited once, last by Sames ().

• Very cool. Congrats on the fish. Ten foot viz is a average day in california. Glad you where able to connect on some fish.

• hi,last times I have fishing some peacock bass and this fish ( all)has worms,white ,longs and look like a spring .I don't eat this fishes ,but I can eat if I fried well the meat?

hola,ultimamente e pescado algunos peacock bass y tienen gusanos,largos y blancos,yo los he sacado y e freido bien el pescado pero despues lo e botado por precaucion ,se pueden comer estos pescados? es malo para la salud o solo con freirlo bien estamos fuera de peligro? de verdad que es una lastima botar esos ejemplares,para mi es el mejor pes de agua dulce que se pueda comer.bueno gracias anticipadas por sus respuestas.:D