WSB report

• Sharing the stoke!
    So I haven't had much time to dive lately. I've been incredibly busy, getting ready for a move to Alabama for medical school as well as trying to get back in the Army for the health professions scholarship program, plus traveling back and forth between LA and Berkeley to visit my gf. BUT! Luckily I found some time yesterday to do a quick shore dive which turned out to be rewarding. I started out the dive at about 2 pm after checking several spots that had crap vis, I went to a spot where I could see the vis was pretty good. About 15' water was warm at the top but there was a thermocline about 10 or 15 feet down. It was a pretty fun dive to say the least. I started out close to some rocks and some seals showed up to play around. Once I saw those I thought I was screwed. After about an hour and some sheepheads, I saw a little school of barracuda, which I took to be a VERY good sign. A few minutes later, I was resting at the surface and I see a smaller sized WSB swim right by me. It was on the smaller side, might've been just legal, but I didn't go for it. About ten minutes later, this 32" WSB swims within six feet of me and pauses 2 feet from the tip of my gun. I line up the shot and let loose. That bugger took off! I started following it until I couldn't feel it taking out any line. Swimming around I found my empty spear and had the most disappointing feeling in the world! I couldn't believe I shot the fish point blank and I lost it. BUT! it turns out I didn't lose it after all. The spear had traveled all the way through and gotten jammed in some rocks. I followed my line to where I was tangled up and I saw the fish jerking and wrapped in some kelp. After about 20 minutes of struggling I finally got it free and on the stringer. After that I collected my spear and headed straight in. Just pure stoke! My family and I only ever gotten a few fish in all the years we've been fishing California, going back to my dad, that's over 50 years. I got home, chopped up the fish, including the collars and the otoliths. :) The collars were so onolicious! Never had those before, but the meat was so succulent! Here's some pics of the action. I'll put up a video later on.