• I made this very basic but functional little Euro for a mate a little while ago, he still has not picked it up.

Specifications
    Length: 90cm
    Timber: Merbau, Ash and Wenge
    Handle / mech: Beuchat Marlin
    Finish: Epoxy

I have used the Marlin on a number of these Euro builds and I do like them. They are good value for money but I am seeking an alternative if anyone can recommend on i would love to hear about it.

• Nice! Love the contrasting woods.
    Have you ever experienced problems with delaminating?
    Do you take the properties of the different woods into account when you laminate?

Cheers Henrik.

I make test blanks before I make a real gun for myself or others. I also have a testing phase for my blanks that include:
    1. Cutting 4mm thick off cuts from the blank and bending them and hitting them to destruction to check the joint bond strength. If it breaks on a glue joint I do not use the blank and it gets recycled.
    2. I also put 2 untreated pieces into a bucket of water and measure shape changes. If one species of timber swells too much or a joint fails, I do not use that blank and it also gets recycled.

I have had to recycle 15 blanks.

I have not had a gun fail yet but it is always possible when you are laminating exotics.

You ask a very good question regarding the selection of timbers and their properties. I true craftsman question!

I look at multiple factors (in no order):
    1. has the timber been used for boat building
    2. what is its durability class for moisture exposure
    3. its density
    4. its nature to remain true to shape
    5. how well does it bond and accept epoxy
    6. tensile properties
    7. stability under stress
    8. sex appeal ;)

Most of my Euro require next to no lead for balancing.

These are no where near the calibre you are producing but they are fun and I am a sucker for exotic timbers.

• Look very nice. I also appreciate the insight into your planning and the extensive testing. More folks should take more things that seriously

The moment I saw Darren's custom guns, I knew I had to own a few of them. He took my wife and I around his workshop for a good hour or two showing us the ins and outs of speargun making. To say he has the passion and talent is an understatement.

• +1 Awesome gun as always mate.

Darrens a top bloke! The highlight of my once a year trip to Sydney is the catch up dive with him!:thumbsup2: