Deeper diving techniques?

• I've noticed that a whole lot of the best European divers use weights attached to a floatline that they ditch a depth. For deeper wreck/boat diving it seems like it would be much safer to use this technique. You could wear no weight on your belt and use a weight on a float that would make a much smoother decent than you would be comfortable with on your belt. I was wondering if any of you guys use this method?? I know that using a ton of weight to go beyond your limits is a really bad idea, but I'm not talking about that.

• I've noticed that a whole lot of the best European divers use weights attached to a floatline that they ditch a depth. For deeper wreck/boat diving it seems like it would be much safer to use this technique. You could wear no weight on your belt and use a weight on a float that would make a much smoother decent than you would be comfortable with on your belt. I was wondering if any of you guys use this method?? I know that using a ton of weight to go beyond your limits is a really bad idea, but I'm not talking about that.

This is called pendulum diving. Whole lot of risks and dangers with the technique.
    That being said I'm starting to get into it. You dont take all the weight off your belt, enough so you are neutral at the target depth. On the line you put more than you would wear, the idea is the weight does the work for you on the way down.
    Be safe.

• What are the risks and dangers involved? It seems if you are doing bounce dives on a deep spot that you'd normally kick down to it would be less risky to use this technique. I would think you'd be burning way less o2. With a thin or no wetsuit you could do this without any weight on your belt as most people are neutral at 50-60ft. It also would instill good one up one down diving as you'd be taking turns with the weight. I've done "pull downs" where you hold your gun between your legs and pull down a line anchored to a wreck/reef. Pendulum diving seems like a great technique if you are not staying any longer at depth than you would had you kicked down...??? I must be missing something?

• hatterasfreedvr---that technique of using a weight to help with descending is what I have been doing for years and years while yak freedive spearfishing. I swim around on the surface holding my yak anchor and chain in my left hand and my gun in my right hand. When I see a fish or fishy looking spot, I hold onto the anchor and let its weight help me to descend faster and with less effort. When I'm done on the bottom I let go of the anchor and easily swim up to the surface. My anchor now marks the spot where I was on the bottom if I want to return there and not drift away or I can just hoist the anchor up with the anchor line and move on. This technique works great for me for many different reasons.
    Hope this helps

• Pendulum diving is not necessary for usa. They do it in the med because there are few fish and they are deep. Deep meaning 120+ feet.

You can build up to 100+ feet safely and you wont need to go deeper especially in Hatteras.

• THanks Greekdiver. I was actually thinking that if anybody was using this it would be you. I'm not looking to dive 100+ ft. I can shoot fish @ 80ft and that's plenty deep for me. Have you tried it before? I know you are diving super deep.

• THanks Greekdiver. I was actually thinking that if anybody was using this it would be you. I'm not looking to dive 100+ ft. I can shoot fish @ 80ft and that's plenty deep for me. Have you tried it before? I know you are diving super deep.

I have messed around with it. It is not fun bringing up all that stuff after each dive. Also, when you shoot fish real deep, you have to sometimes retrieve it deeper. It is not worth the stress in my opinion in the states where there is constant current and poor vis. In the med, yes because of lack of current and clear viz.