Dive Torch Thoughts

• Hi
    I would like to borrow your collective thoughts on what constitutes a good dive torch, as I am looking to buy one in the very near future.

I hear lots of talk about lumens and LEDs, but would like to hear what you guys think.

I will be spearfishing in relatively clear waters, so I am guessing that I don't need one that's too bright. Sorry if it's a noobie question...

Thx
    Frazzle

• I was at speardiver hq yesterday and my short answer is... The new speardiver torch

For me there are a few factors. Durability, it has to hold up and handle water. Beam, I only need my light for caves and crevices so I want a fairly narrow beam that is very bright. And a good switch, has to be a slider switch, I have flooded many torches with twist style switches, and preferably a magnetic switch so it can't fail. Lastly, good battery source. I prefer torches with standard cell batteries just because they are more easily purchased

New speardiver torch is a homerun on all accounts.

i like to spear fish

• Dan, I saw the 8 hour burn time on Spec. Not looking for exact numbers, , but in the last hour of battery life, How bright is it? Just looking for general % number, say like 50% - or 80% etc.

I think I will mount one of these on my Mares pneumatic gun. The 1.25 OD is really nice.

Is the electrical switch a reed relay with a magnet in lever?

-John

• Hi LinkerBuster,
    thanks for a comprehensive response.
    What about this http://www.world-dive.com/humble-dive-torch-really-need-one/ ?
    It seems to fit the bill...

Oh thanks to the others that posted thoughts here as well. It's an uphill struggle learning what's good and what isn't with all the gear I need to get myself!

:)

I was at speardiver hq yesterday and my short answer is... The new speardiver torch

For me there are a few factors. Durability, it has to hold up and handle water. Beam, I only need my light for caves and crevices so I want a fairly narrow beam that is very bright. And a good switch, has to be a slider switch, I have flooded many torches with twist style switches, and preferably a magnetic switch so it can't fail. Lastly, good battery source. I prefer torches with standard cell batteries just because they are more easily purchased

New speardiver torch is a homerun on all accounts.

Edited 2 times, last by Frazzle ().

• Hi LinkerBuster,
    thanks for a comprehensive response.
    What about this dive torch?
    It seems to fit the bill...

Oh thanks to the others that posted thoughts here as well. It's an uphill struggle learning what's good and what isn't with all the gear I need to get myself!

:)

From that site:

"Its penetrating light beam can reach a distance of up to 622 feet, it is waterproof and it can be submerged into water up to a distance of 500 feet, more than the average dive torch." :laughing:

I doubt it penetrates through over 600ft of water. The sun barely penetrates the euphotic zone which goes to around 650ft from the surface.

I have seen and used the Speardiver torch and it works good for checking holes on the reef.

• I hadn't noticed (and actually wouldn't have understood even if I had noticed...)

Checking out the Speardiver now.
    Thx

• The Speardiver is 270 lumens. The one you linked is 116. So the speardiver torch is over two times as powerful. It also has a beam meant for spearfishing. Not to mention its cheaper. I love mine and its found me a whole lot of lobsters in the last year.

• I think I might buy one for my Son, He likes bright lights for his air soft rifles. Should look nice mounted on an AR-15.

Reefchief, How is the brightness towards the end of Battery life?

I'll have to make a mount not to cover up the speardiver logo. Maybe Dan will be selling to the Air soft type.

• Linghut,

Its good enough that I haven't ever really paid attention to it to say exactly how good it is. All I know is for as much as I accidentally leave it on diving im surprised at the battery life. Its bright enough for diving even in bad viz through almost the entire battery life.

• John, I ran a time test on this light. I checked it 4 hours after I left it on, and it was significantly less bright, maybe %40. I checked again after 8 hours, and it was down to approx %10. After 10 hours it was pretty much the same so I turned it off. I thought that was it. But this morning I had to put the 2 flashlights away, and couldn't remember which was the one I let run down the batteries, so I flicked them on again. I was surprised to see that the light intensity was practically the same. I had to really take a close look at the beam to see which was less bright. The one with the supposedly run down batteries was at %90 - %95. I can only assume that there's a safety timer built into the light that automatically lessens the beam intensity after the light is left on for a while. Simulating a situation where the light is left turned on by accident, so the batteries don't get discharged. I don't have time to turn the light on and off every half an hour all day, so when I get a chance I'll take a closer look at the specs to confirm my conclusion.

• Sounds good, I've not had time to look into it, but there might be fancy electronics in there to help manage the power. On LED's as the voltage drops off you still get good output.

I'm guessing here, but if batteries put out 4.5V in series and (dependant of how they wire the LEDs) assume they are all in parallel then they must be using a voltage regulator to give them .7V , or maybe a combo of 2 in series and then parallel so 1.5V, etc. The micro chips are so small these days and cheap who knows what they did.

Dan, How many LEDS are in the light?

Here is a Picture of a lighted road side cone donut, With all the banks of LEDS we had lots of options. We put a computer chip in there to manage the patterns etc.

That was Prototype BTW we thru together for testing and customer approval of concepts.