Why do freediving watches not vibrate?

• Hi all,

I just took my brand new Aeris F10v2 out for a spin in the Mediterranean last week. I had my 5mm with a hood on and I did not hear the alarms nor did I see the red led light up. I started to think it was faulty but after several tests I realized my hood completely blocked the alarm's sound (and the light is just not bright enough). This made me wonder why they don't vibrate, wouldn't that be better? I would feel it even through my wetsuit, I would not miss important events and not have to look at the watch all the time.

Any ideas why nobody does this? It would be more safe.

Thanks,
    Gabriel

• My guess would be that the power required to operate something that vibrates hard enough to be felt through a wetsuit is far beyond the capabilities of a watch battery. This is why I think vibration is mainly seen in devices large enough to have a large rechargeable battery.

• Hmmm, ok, fair enough, although with smartwatches out and not being much bigger than an f10 I wonder how valid it is today for them not to integrate a rechargable battery, a monochrome screen and the not powerful CPU the dive watches have requires less energy than what the smartwatches have...

• The problem with a rechargeable battery on a dive watch is waterproofing the interface. It's not easy to waterproof electronics down to 300' +

• Interesting spray. Wonder how long it lasts protecting that Cell phone?

Vibratory devices do suck power, For charging one could do inductive charging.

This can be seen in battery powered Toothbrushes. that have a holder for re-charge. One of EE buds used this concept on a medical device that would be installed in surgery.

I see how it could be done, but watch makers probably aren't doing it from cost of R/D based on projected sales. Maybe it is in the works already and not released.

Water pressure on a watch does add to the challenge as Wishihadgills has stated.

Edited 2 times, last by Linghunt: typo ().

• My Garmin Forerunner 910xt triathlon watch is;
    Rated for 50meters
    interfaces with my Mac
    Has user adjustable settings with VIBRATE /alarms
    Has user adjustable GPS and can even map/track where you have been
    Is rechargable
    Has user adjustable faces
    has aprox 1yr worth of storeable memory
    has 20hour battery life
    Is NOT cheap
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/U…nner-910xt/prod90671.html

hope this helps

• The cost of microchips to do Bluetooth, processing, memory and all the rest is very inexpensive. Garmin probably buys these in bulk for even less.

All small and low power, All you need a design team like Garmin has. I bet they spent more time figuring out the cosmetics of the watch.

It actually doesn't look that spendy. I bet the market for them is higher than one would think.

IF the GPS features work underwater, that is impressive. If it works at 100 foot depth , then I will have to buy one.

• I am NOT advocating anyone buying a 910 for spearin. I just wanted to post that some of the desired spearin watch programs (vibrate, rechargable, waterproof) were already available.
    "we have the technology" :D
    The 910 will track your GPS while swimming on the surface.
    hope this helps

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• Yes, I had understood, IF you go out spearing can you test an alarm (e.g. timer) going off with vabration and a wetsuit just to test out how it feels?

This ^^^ I have already done sir.:)
    In the winter time in Miami we would do our triathlon 2mi swims with the Garmin 910 AND 2/3/5mm tri wetsuits. If you held the 910 under the water too long it would vibrate and alarm "lost satellite". I could easily feel the 910 vibrate even while doing a 60 stroke/min freestyle rate.
    If you go to this site, you can see DC Rainmakers full review of the Garmin 910/310 AND the GPS tracking of his swims. AND tons of other information can be downloaded from the 910 to your Mac or PC.

The New Garmin Forerunner 310XT Openwater Swim Mode

Forgot to mention: For the retail cost of only $400-$499. you get THE TOP of the pile GPS triathlon training watch, BUT remember, it WILL NOT tell you what time it is. :@:laughing:

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 3 times, last by hau ().

• It actually doesn't look that spendy. I bet the market for them is higher than one would think.

IF the GPS features work underwater, that is impressive. If it works at 100 foot depth , then I will have to buy one.

1. True, anyone who is anyone in triathlon uses a 910, that is tens of thousands of 910s in use overs years and years it has been in production.
    2. 910 GPS will NOT work underwater. BUT it will track and download MAP your locations while you are on the surface, (where us freedivers spend most of our time).
    hope this helps